Momentum of a Photon - Is My Understanding Correct?

In summary, a photon's momentum can be calculated by multiplying its energy by the speed of light, and a change in momentum can be measured by the change in energy when the photon interacts with a particle. This is known as the Compton effect.
rohanprabhu
This thing has troubled me for a long time.. but i think this is eventually starting to get clear to me.

When we say a photon has a momentum 'p', the momentum isn't it's mass times the velocity.. but it can be interpreted as: If the photon [having frequency [itex]f_1[/itex]] collides with any other particle, and an elastic collision takes place.. and it's frequency now is [itex]f_2[/itex], then the momentum imparted to the particle is: [tex]\Delta p = \frac{h}{c}(f_2 - f_1)[/itex]

am i right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a photon, momentum, p = E/c = h[itex]\nu[/itex]/c, and a change would be given by

[tex]\Delta p = \frac{h}{c}{(f_2 - f_1)}[/tex], where h/c is a constant. I used nu for frequency f.

Astronuc said:
For a photon, momentum, p = E/c = h[itex]\nu[/itex]/c, and a change would be given by

[tex]\Delta p = \frac{h}{c}{(f_2 - f_1)}[/tex], where h/c is a constant. I used nu for frequency f.

well.. i actually.. said the same thing. I don't get what you were trying to explain. Can u please explain? thanks.

rohanprabhu said:
well.. i actually.. said the same thing. I don't get what you were trying to explain. Can u please explain? thanks.
I was explaining that a photon of energy E and a momentum of p = E/c. When a photon scatters (interacts with a particle), there will a change in energy and momentum, and the change in p = (Ei - Ef)/c. This is demonstrated in the Compton effect.

What is the momentum of a photon?

The momentum of a photon is given by the equation p = h/λ, where p is the momentum, h is Planck's constant, and λ is the wavelength of the photon.

Is the momentum of a photon always constant?

Yes, the momentum of a photon is always constant, regardless of its energy or frequency.

How does the momentum of a photon relate to its speed?

The momentum of a photon is directly proportional to its speed. This means that a photon with a higher momentum will have a higher speed.

Can the momentum of a photon be transferred?

Yes, the momentum of a photon can be transferred to other objects through the process of absorption or emission. This is known as the photoelectric effect.

How does the momentum of a photon differ from the momentum of a particle?

The momentum of a photon differs from the momentum of a particle because photons do not have mass. They only have energy and momentum, which are related to their frequency and wavelength.