Momentum & Kinetic Energy: Solve for Force

In summary, the momentum of a system is 8 kg m/s and the kinetic energy is 16/5 Joules when the system has a mass of 10kg. The opposing force needed to bring the system to rest with a constant force in 5 seconds is -(8/5) N.
EthanVandals

Homework Statement

Suppose that the momentum of a system is 8 kg m/s. What is the kinetic energy of the system if it has a mass of 10kg? If this system is brought to rest with a constant force in 5 seconds, what is the magnitude of this force?

Homework Equations

Momentum > p = (m)(v)
Kinetic Energy > KE = 0.5(m)(v)2

The Attempt at a Solution

Whenever I get an answer this easily, I am always very cautious, because it seems too easy and I usually get it wrong. So far, I applied the momentum equation, p = (m)(v) > 8 = 10v, and solved to get the fact that velocity is 4/5 m/s. Then, I plugged that into the formula for Kinetic Energy, KE = 1/2(m)(v)2, and I got that the Kinetic Energy is 16/5 Joules. As for finding the magnitude of the opposing force, I do not even know where to begin. Did I get the Kinetic Energy right, and how would I begin to find the opposing magnitude? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are absolutely correct with kinetic energy. That is exactly how you are supposed to find it.

As for the opposing force, it's not as hard as it seems. But first, let me give you some definitions and a new equation. The change in momentum (Δρ) is also called Impulse (some textbooks will use different variables for impulse, but I use the letter "J").

J=Force*Δt
Change in momentum=Force*change in time

So to find the opposing force, all you do is plug into that equation. If you need more help with this problem, let me know.

Your solution for the kinetic energy is correct, although it may be easier in this case to directly use the relation ##E_k = p^2/(2m)##.

For the stopping time, apply Newton's second law.

Truman I said:
As for the opposing force, it's not as hard as it seems. But first, let me give you some definitions and a new equation.
It is possible that the problem is not referring to this force. It's hard to know what exactly your physics class is doing right now without being in it myself. Now that I think about it, if you have not learned this equation yet, you may want to solve it the way Orodruin suggested above.

Truman I said:
It is possible that the problem is not referring to this force. It's hard to know what exactly your physics class is doing right now without being in it myself. Now that I think about it, if you have not learned this equation yet, you may want to solve it the way Orodruin suggested above.
To be honest, there is really not much to "learn". The impulse equation is just the integrated version of Newton's second law, instead of ##dp/dt = F## you write
$$
\Delta p = \int F\, dt.
$$

The question implies the stopping force is constant so the deceleration is constant. You can use the equations of motion to find the deceleration and Newton to find the force.

CWatters said:
The question implies the stopping force is constant so the deceleration is constant. You can use the equations of motion to find the deceleration and Newton to find the force.
The deceleration is not requested, you just need to apply Newton's second law, i.e., ##dp/dt = F## or - for a constant force - ##\Delta p/\Delta t = F##. I would also argue that Newton's second law is the equation of motion for the system.

Orodruin said:
The deceleration is not requested, you just need to apply Newton's second law, i.e., ##dp/dt = F## or - for a constant force - ##\Delta p/\Delta t = F##. I would also argue that Newton's second law is the equation of motion for the system.
I used this strategy, and I got that the force would be equivalent to -(8/5) N.

EthanVandals said:
I used this strategy, and I got that the force would be equivalent to -(8/5) N.
Correct.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and its resistance to change in motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass and velocity.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass and the square of its velocity, divided by 2.

3. How do I calculate force using momentum and kinetic energy?

To calculate force using momentum and kinetic energy, you can use the equation F = Δp/Δt, where Δp is the change in momentum and Δt is the change in time.

4. Can momentum and kinetic energy be conserved?

Yes, momentum and kinetic energy can be conserved in a closed system, meaning there are no external forces acting on the system. In this case, the total momentum and kinetic energy of the system will remain constant.

5. How does force affect momentum and kinetic energy?

Force can change an object's momentum and kinetic energy by causing it to accelerate or decelerate. The greater the force applied, the greater the change in momentum and kinetic energy will be.