Light Momentum & Photography: Facts & Effects

In summary: This pressure can be enough to move an object, especially in the vacuum of space where there is no resistance. This is why red light, which has low energy, is often used in photography as it does not affect the photographic plate. In summary, light can transfer momentum to a surface, and this effect is utilized in solar sails.
uzair_ha91
I've read somewhere that only red light is used in photography because of its low energy which does not affect the photographic plate.
So my question is that when light shines on a surface, is momentum transferred to the metal surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, any surface that reflects, absorbs or emits light will effectively act as if light imparted a very small pressure on it. Reflection, which can be thought of as an absorption followed by an emission more or less back the same way, gives up to twice the pressure. Light (including heat from black-body radiation) emitted from the "the other side" of the surface will of course reduce the effective pressure.

You can look up how solar sails work to see a "practical" application of this effect.

uzair_ha91 said:
I've read somewhere that only red light is used in photography because of its low energy which does not affect the photographic plate.QUOTE]

I hope your not suggesting that film photography cannot photograph something red?
Perhaps the special "red light" used in developing rooms are of such a wavelength that the photographic dyes are not sensitive to.

Thus, I think this has more to do with wavelength sensitivity rather than "energy" levels.

Just my thoughts... could be wrong.

Wavelength is inversely proportional to energy, or something like that.

As an extension of the topic "momentum of light", if you shine light on an object in space, will the object start moving?

Char. Limit said:
if you shine light on an object in space, will the object start moving?

Solar Sail

What is light momentum and how does it affect photography?

Light momentum is the measure of the amount of energy carried by a beam of light. In photography, it refers to how light particles interact with the camera's sensor to create an image. The momentum of light affects the quality and clarity of the image captured.

How does light travel and why is it important in photography?

Light travels in a straight line and at a constant speed of approximately 186,000 miles per second. This is important in photography because it determines how light will interact with the camera's sensor and how it will be captured in an image.

What are the different types of light in photography?

The three main types of light in photography are natural light, artificial light, and flash. Natural light is the light that comes from the sun and is often considered the most flattering for photography. Artificial light refers to any light source that is not natural, such as light bulbs or streetlights. Flash, also known as strobe light, is a short burst of intense light used to illuminate a scene or subject.

How does light affect color in photography?

Light plays a crucial role in determining the color of an image. The color of light itself has a temperature, measured in Kelvin, which can affect the overall tone of an image. Additionally, the quality and direction of light can also impact the color of a photograph, creating highlights, shadows, and contrast.

What are some tips for using light effectively in photography?

One tip for using light effectively in photography is to pay attention to the direction of light. Side lighting can create depth and texture in an image, while back lighting can create silhouettes. Another tip is to use diffusers or reflectors to soften or redirect light for a more flattering effect. Additionally, understanding the color temperature of light can help in creating a desired mood or atmosphere in a photograph.