Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum of light

1. Oct 26, 2014 #1
    Is the momentum of EM radiation due to the EM radiation applying a force on the electrons?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 26, 2014 #3
    I don't think that's what I'm thinking of.

I mean:
    Light is said to possess momentum. That means it can push things around right? So I'm asking is the reason light can push stuff around because EM wave pushes electrons?

5. Oct 26, 2014 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that is the basic mechanism by which light (which is electromagnetic radiation) transfers energy and momentum to objects.

But do note the word "basic" - entire books can be and have been written on the interaction of light and matter.

6. Oct 26, 2014 #5
    Thanks, basic mechanism is all I wanted.

7. Oct 26, 2014 #6
    But hold on, how does EM radiation push objects forward (such as in solar sails)? Isn't the force in EM radiation oscillating perpendicular to the direction of travel?

8. Oct 26, 2014 #7

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

An electromagnetic wave has both an electrical and a magnetic component. Both fields are perpendicular to the direction of travel. However, the force exerted by these fields is not in general parallel to the field direction. (google for "Lorentz force").

9. Oct 26, 2014 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Oct 26, 2014 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook