1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum of mass problem

1. Mar 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small object of mass m slides down a wedge of mass 2m and exits smoothly onto a frictionless table. The wedge is initially at rest on the table. If the object is initially at rest at a height h above the table, find the velocity of the wedge when the object leaves it.

2. Relevant equations
    mv=mv

3. The attempt at a solution

So far, I know that the velocity of mass m is (2gh)^.5, but I'm not sure how to find the speed of the wedge while it's sliding down. At first I tried to set m(2gh)^.5 = (2m)v, but that doesn't give me the right answer. Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2007 #2
    Hmmm......isnt the mass of the system(wedge) initially supposed to be 2m+m=3m???

4. Mar 25, 2007 #3
    So does that mean the velocity is (2/3gh)^.5? (mgh = .5 (3m) v^2) Even after that, I'm not quite sure how to set up the equation after the block leaves the wedge.

5. Mar 25, 2007 #4
    First the question asks only what is the velocity when the wedge breaks contact, not what its doing while the two are in contact. Now since it says "exits smoothly" I would assume all the velocity is now horizontal. Conservation of momentum along the x axis? Initially it was zero before the block was released you can assume. Since there have been no external forces other than gravity which is directed along the Y axis, will the momentum on the x axis be conserved?

6. Mar 25, 2007 #5
    So then the velocity of the block on the horizontal is (2gh)^.5, which equals the momentum of the wedge? That gives me the equation m (2gh)^.5 = 2m v, which can't be right.

7. Mar 25, 2007 #6
    why not? I thought it was, but maybe I'm overlooking something. Like we now have excess energy? so maybe we need to conserve both??

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  8. Mar 25, 2007 #7
    The answer in the back is -((gh)/3)^.5

9. Mar 25, 2007 #8
    so lets apply what I suggested:
    mgh=1/2*m*vb^2 plus 1/2*2m*Vinc^2 and using m*vb=-2m*Vinc and solving for
    Vinc,
    should lead to the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?