Calculating Momentum of a Particle: Q&A

In summary, when calculating the momentum energy of a particle, you can use the equation (E^2-(mc^2)^2)^(1/2) = pc. When accelerating an electron through a potential difference, you can calculate its momentum using p=√ [E2-m2]. If there is only kinetic energy involved, the formula works, but if there is potential energy, it must be taken into account as well.
Stickybees
Say I have the rest energy(mc^2) and the total energy of a particle (E), would getting the momentum energy of the particle be as simple as doing (E^2-(mc^2)^2)^(1/2) = pc?

And when accelerating a electron through a potential difference how would I work out its momentum, given I have its rest energy and the value for potential difference?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like the correct equation to use.

When an electron is accelerated through a potential difference, what happens to its total energy?

c=1 you have
E2= p2+m2

so you want to know the momentum you do what you said

p=√ [E2-m2]

by the time you say "total energy E" it means that the kinetical energy is within your already known parameter, so is there a potential, is there not- you know E, you know mass, so you know its mommentum.

I am assuming that for a p.d. of for example 1 MV, this will create an energy difference of 1 MeV for an electron and with the rest energy of around 0.5 MeV for an electron, it would simply equal 1.5 MeV/c for the momentum, but I think this is wrong, but I don't understand why.

Assuming all the energy was kinetic, your formula works. If there is also potential energy involved, then you have to take that into account as well.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is directly related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the change in momentum of an object is equal to the force applied to it.

3. How do you calculate the momentum of a particle?

To calculate the momentum of a particle, you need to know its mass and velocity. The formula for momentum is: momentum = mass x velocity. The units for momentum are kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

4. What is the difference between linear momentum and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to an object's motion around a fixed point. Both are calculated using the same formula (mass x velocity), but angular momentum takes into account the object's rotational motion. The units for angular momentum are kilogram-meters squared per second (kg*m^2/s).

5. Can momentum be conserved?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system (one in which no external forces are acting) is constant. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.