Momentum of System Homework: Total Momentum at h/2

In summary, the total momentum of the system consisting of a ball of mass m and the Earth, initially at rest at a height h above the Earth, after the ball has fallen a distance h/2, is given by the sum of the momenta of the ball and the Earth, which is equal to Me(sqrrt)2gh.
Husker70

Homework Statement

A system initially consists of a ball of mass m at rest at a height h above the Earth and the Earth, of mass Me. When the ball has fallen a distance h/2, the total momentum of
the system is
A. 0
B. m(sqrrt)2gh
C. Me(sqrrt)2gh
D. Me + m(sqrrt)2gh
E. Me - m(sqrrt)2gh

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I put B and missed it. I think the answer is C but not sure.
Any help understanding this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
Husker70 said:

Homework Statement

A system initially consists of a ball of mass m at rest at a height h above the Earth and the Earth, of mass Me. When the ball has fallen a distance h/2, the total momentum of
the system is
A. 0
B. m(sqrrt)2gh
C. Me(sqrrt)2gh
D. Me + m(sqrrt)2gh
E. Me - m(sqrrt)2gh

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I put B and missed it. I think the answer is C but not sure.
Any help understanding this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

[tex]\textbf{v}_f^2=\textbf{v}_i^2+2\textbf{ad}[/tex]

so, [tex]\textbf{v}=\sqrt{2\textbf{ad}}[/tex], and:

[tex]\textbf{p}=m\textbf{v}=m\sqrt{2\textbf{ad}}[/tex].

The total momentum of the system is the sum of momenta of the particles. The above momentum is that of the ball. The momentum of the Earth is given by:

[tex]M_e\textbf{v_e}=[/tex],

add them and that's your answer which isn't readily available, sadly. Maybe someone else has more of an intuitive approach.

I would like to clarify the concept of momentum and how it relates to this problem. Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity, and it is a measure of the object's motion. In this case, the system consists of two objects - the ball and the Earth. Since the ball is initially at rest, its momentum is zero. However, the Earth is constantly moving due to its rotation and revolution around the sun, so it has a non-zero momentum.

When the ball falls a distance h/2, its velocity increases and it gains momentum. At the same time, the Earth's momentum also changes due to the change in its distance from the ball. The total momentum of the system is the sum of the individual momenta of the ball and the Earth.

Since the ball's momentum is m(sqrt(2gh)) and the Earth's momentum is Me(sqrt(2gh)), the total momentum of the system at h/2 is (m+Me)sqrt(2gh). Therefore, the correct answer is option D - Me + m(sqrt(2gh)).

I would also like to mention that the equation for momentum (p = mv) is not included in the given homework statement. However, it is important to understand and use this equation to solve problems involving momentum. I hope this clarifies your understanding of the concept and helps you in solving similar problems in the future.

1. What is momentum of a system?

Momentum of a system is a measure of the motion of the system as a whole. It is the product of the mass and velocity of all the objects in the system.

2. How is total momentum at h/2 calculated?

Total momentum at h/2 is calculated by adding up the momenta of all the objects in the system at the given height (h/2). This can be done by multiplying the mass and velocity of each object and then adding them together.

3. Why is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum of the system cannot change, as there is no external force to cause a change in velocity. Therefore, momentum is conserved in a closed system.

4. How does the momentum of a system change when an object is added or removed?

If an object is added to a system, the total momentum of the system will increase. Conversely, if an object is removed from the system, the total momentum will decrease. This is because the added or removed object will have its own momentum that contributes to the total momentum of the system.

5. Can the total momentum of a system ever be zero?

Yes, the total momentum of a system can be zero if the momenta of all the objects in the system cancel each other out. This can occur if the objects are moving in opposite directions with equal momentum, or if the system is at rest.