Momentum Operator and Wavefunction problem

E - T = 0 - 0 = 0This means that the potential energy is also 0, which is why it was not explicitly mentioned in the problem. In summary, the particle does not have a single well-defined value for linear momentum, kinetic energy, or potential energy. All three have an expectation value of 0. This means that the particle's properties are uncertain and can only be described by a probability distribution. I hope this helps clarify things. Let me know if you need any further assistance.
grahamfw
Okay this should be fairly easy, not really sure why it's not working for me.

Suppose a particle moving along the x-axis is in a state with a wavefunction psi=cos(ax). Determine whether (i) the linear momentum and the (ii) kinetic energy of the particle has a single well-define value. If so what is it?

The operator we are given is P(sub)x=(h/(2πi))d/dx. I know to set it up using the Hpsi= Epsi. What I don't know is what to use for E. Classically, we have used just T + V and I know that T=(P(sub)x)^2/(2m) . But what about V? Can I leave it out? Is it not important?

Once, I get that, I can find out if it has a sharp observable for both of those.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Graham

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Graham,

It sounds like you are on the right track. To determine whether the linear momentum and kinetic energy have a single well-defined value, we need to calculate their expectation values using the wavefunction given to us.

To find the expectation value of linear momentum, we use the formula:

<p> = ∫ψ*(P(sub)x)ψ dx

where ψ* is the complex conjugate of the wavefunction and P(sub)x is the linear momentum operator.

For our given wavefunction, ψ* = cos(ax) and P(sub)x = (h/(2πi))d/dx. Plugging these into the formula, we get:

<p> = ∫cos(ax) * (h/(2πi))d/dx * cos(ax) dx

= (h/(2πi)) ∫-a*sin(ax)*cos(ax) dx

= (h/(4πi)) ∫sin(2ax) dx

= -h/8πi * [cos(2ax)] = 0

Therefore, the expectation value of linear momentum is 0, which means the particle does not have a definite momentum.

To find the expectation value of kinetic energy, we use the formula:

<T> = ∫ψ*(P(sub)x)^2/(2m)ψ dx

where ψ* is the complex conjugate of the wavefunction, P(sub)x is the linear momentum operator, and m is the mass of the particle.

Plugging in our values, we get:

<T> = ∫cos(ax) * (h/(2πi))^2 * d^2/dx^2 * cos(ax) / (2m) dx

= (h^2/(4π^2m)) ∫-a^2*cos(ax) dx

= h^2a^2/(8π^2m) * ∫cos(ax) dx

= h^2a^2/(8π^2m) * [sin(ax)] = 0

Therefore, the expectation value of kinetic energy is also 0. This means that the particle does not have a definite kinetic energy.

As for the potential energy, it is not explicitly given in the problem but it can be calculated using the total energy equation, E = T + V. Since we know the expectation values of T and E are both 0, we can solve for V:

V =

Hi Graham,

First, let's start by finding the linear momentum operator for our given wavefunction. As you correctly stated, the linear momentum operator is given by P(sub)x=(h/(2πi))d/dx. So, we can plug this into the Schrödinger equation Hpsi= Epsi and solve for the energy term.

Hpsi= Epsi
P(sub)x^2/(2m)psi= Epsi
(h^2/(2m(2πi)^2))(d^2psi/dx^2)= Epsi

Now, we can substitute our given wavefunction psi=cos(ax) into this equation and solve for E.

(h^2/(2m(2πi)^2))(d^2(cos(ax))/dx^2)= Ecos(ax)

Using the chain rule, we can find the second derivative of cos(ax).

d^2(cos(ax))/dx^2= -a^2cos(ax)

So, our equation becomes:

(h^2/(2m(2πi)^2))(-a^2cos(ax))= Ecos(ax)

Simplifying, we get:

(-h^2a^2/(2m(2πi)^2))= E

Therefore, we can see that the energy term for our given wavefunction is -h^2a^2/(2m(2πi)^2). This means that the linear momentum and kinetic energy of the particle do have well-defined values, which are given by -h^2a^2/(2m(2πi)^2).

As for the potential energy term, it is not explicitly included in the Schrödinger equation because it depends on the specific system and is not a fundamental property of the particle. However, it can be added into the equation if necessary.

I hope this helps and clarifies the problem for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical quantity that represents the momentum of a particle. It is denoted by the symbol "p" and is defined as the product of the particle's mass and its velocity. In quantum mechanics, the momentum operator is an important component of the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How is the momentum operator related to the wavefunction?

The momentum operator is related to the wavefunction through the momentum eigenvalue equation, which states that the momentum operator acting on the wavefunction gives the momentum of the particle as a result. In other words, the wavefunction contains information about the momentum of a particle and the momentum operator acts on this wavefunction to extract that information.

3. What is the significance of the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator is significant in quantum mechanics because it is one of the fundamental operators that describe the behavior of quantum systems. It helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and is used to calculate various physical quantities such as the particle's position, velocity, and energy.

4. How is the momentum operator used to solve problems in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator is used in quantum mechanics to solve problems by applying it to the wavefunction of a particle. By solving the momentum eigenvalue equation, we can determine the possible values of momentum that the particle can have and the corresponding wavefunctions. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of the particle in a given quantum system.

5. Can the momentum operator be measured in experiments?

Yes, the momentum operator can be measured in experiments. In quantum mechanics, the momentum operator corresponds to a physical observable, which means it can be measured in experiments. The measurement of momentum is typically done by observing the change in position of a particle over time, using techniques such as scattering or diffraction. These measurements help verify the predictions made by the momentum operator in quantum mechanics.