Momentum operator eigenfunction problem

In summary, to find a linear combination that is an eigenfunction of the momentum operator, we equate the coefficients of cos(kx) and sin(kx) and solve for A and B. The solution is f(x) = (-iħ/λk)cos(kx) + (ħ/λk)sin(kx).
interdinghy

Homework Statement

Given f(x)1 = cos(kx) and f(x)2 = sin(kx), find a linear combination which is an eigenfunction of the momentum operator.

Homework Equations

The momentum operator:
03fb1cbecde94fce084d8ecd087b7d43.png
-iħ d\dx(Acos(kx)+Bsin(kx) = λ[Acos(kx) + Bsin(kx)] where λ is some constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a few different A's and B's, mainly permutations of -1 and 1, but I honestly can't see how this is doable. No matter what you do the derivatives' signs aren't going to behave the same way so I just don't see how you can get the same function back out after taking the derivative, no matter what constants you multiply them by.Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

Edit 2: Occurs to me that just in case someone is looking for this question on google or something in the future, I should post the solution I got. Answer was A = 1 B = i.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Solution:

To find a linear combination that is an eigenfunction of the momentum operator, we need to solve the following equation:

-iħ d/dx(Acos(kx)+Bsin(kx)) = λ(Acos(kx) + Bsin(kx))

We can rewrite this equation as:

-iħ(Akcos(kx)+Bksin(kx)) = λ(Acos(kx) + Bsin(kx))

We can then equate the coefficients of cos(kx) and sin(kx) on both sides of the equation:

-Akħ = λA and Bkħ = λB

Solving for A and B, we get:

A = -iħ/λk and B = ħ/λk

Therefore, a linear combination that is an eigenfunction of the momentum operator is:

f(x) = (-iħ/λk)cos(kx) + (ħ/λk)sin(kx)

1. What is the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator is a mathematical operator that represents the momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics. It is denoted by p and is defined as the product of the particle's mass and its velocity.

2. What is the momentum operator eigenfunction problem?

The momentum operator eigenfunction problem is a mathematical problem in quantum mechanics that involves finding the eigenfunctions of the momentum operator. These eigenfunctions represent the allowed states of a particle's momentum.

3. How is the momentum operator eigenfunction problem solved?

The momentum operator eigenfunction problem is solved by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a differential equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles. The eigenfunctions of the momentum operator can then be obtained by applying the momentum operator to the solutions of the Schrödinger equation.

4. What is the physical significance of the momentum operator eigenfunction problem?

The momentum operator eigenfunction problem is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to determine the allowed states of a particle's momentum. These states can then be used to calculate the probability of a particle having a certain momentum at a given time.

5. How does the momentum operator eigenfunction problem relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The momentum operator eigenfunction problem is closely related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The eigenfunctions of the momentum operator represent the possible states of a particle's momentum, and the uncertainty principle tells us that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less we know about its position, and vice versa.