What is the Momentum Operator Identity in Modern Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is about a question on how to show a particular equation and the use of series expansion in solving it. The equation, which is a part of a book on quantum mechanics, involves states and a series expansion is used to expand the first term. There is a discussion on understanding the equation and verifying its accuracy. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a derivative to solve the equation.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I want to show:

[tex] \langle x' - \triangle x' \vert \alpha \rangle = \langle x' \vert \alpha \rangle - \triangle x' \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x'}\langle x' \vert \alpha \rangle [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \vert \alpha \rangle [/tex] is a state.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no clue, can anyone give me a hint? Is the bra being splitted into two, or what?

This is a part of eq (1.7.15) in Sakurai mordern quantum mechanics, 2ed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's just the first term in a power series expansion. Like f(x-a)=f(x)-a*df(x)/dx.

aha okay I'll try that one, thanks alot!

But I think the first term of the series expansion must be a constant but not a function of x.

So I'm wondering..

crazypoets said:
But I think the first term of the series expansion must be a constant but not a function of x.

So I'm wondering..

In f(x-a)=f(x)-a*df(x)/dx I'm thinking of 'x' as the constant (point to expand around) and 'a' as the expansion variable.

But f is differentiated by 'x' in f(x-a)=f(x)-a*df(x)/dx.

I think if 'a' is the variable the series expansion must be

[tex]

f(x-a)=f(x)-a*\frac{df(x-a)}{da} |_{a=0}

[/tex]

I'm studying the part of QM and have difficulty in understanding the eq (1.7.15).

I want to verify that eq,

but I think there may be some mistakes in the explanation by series expansion.

crazypoets said:
But f is differentiated by 'x' in f(x-a)=f(x)-a*df(x)/dx.

I think if 'a' is the variable the series expansion must be

[tex]

f(x-a)=f(x)-a*\frac{df(x-a)}{da} |_{a=0}

[/tex]

I'm studying the part of QM and have difficulty in understanding the eq (1.7.15).

I want to verify that eq,

but I think there may be some mistakes in the explanation by series expansion.

Now that has the wrong sign in the derivative if you are taking it d/da. It will give you -f'(x). If you want to be super precise how about (to first order in a),

[tex]
f(x-a)=f(x)-a \frac{df(z)}{dz} |_{z=x}
[/tex]

the variable in the differentiation symbol is really just a dummy, not x or a. Or just f(x-a)=f(x)-a*f'(x) is also clear.

1. What is the momentum operator identity?

The momentum operator identity is a mathematical expression that relates the momentum operator to the position operator. It states that the commutator of the momentum operator and the position operator is equal to the imaginary number i times the reduced Planck's constant.

2. Why is the momentum operator identity important in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator identity is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to calculate the momentum of a quantum system, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also plays a key role in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

3. How is the momentum operator identity derived?

The momentum operator identity is derived using the commutation relation between the momentum and position operators, as well as the definition of the momentum operator in terms of the gradient of the wave function. The result is the momentum operator identity, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

4. Can the momentum operator identity be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, the momentum operator identity can be applied to any quantum system, as long as the system can be described by a wave function. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used in various calculations and experiments to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How does the momentum operator identity relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The momentum operator identity is one of the key equations used to derive the Schrödinger equation. It is used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time and is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. The momentum operator identity is used in the Schrödinger equation to describe the change in momentum of a particle over time.