1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Operator Proof

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    Does anyone have a momentum operator proof? The book I'm using is skipping a lot of steps .

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Could you be more specific? Proof of what?

4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    sorry i re-read my post and realized it was really vague. The momentum operator used to determine the momentum of a particle described by schrodingers wave equation.

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, what about it? I don't understand what proof you have in mind. Maybe, if you post the exact problem statement, and where you are stuck, it'll be easier to help.

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am also stunned, are you saying that you want a proof that

[tex] -i\hbar \nabla [/tex]

gives the momentum of a state?

Be specific, and write down for us where you get stucked.

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6

JK423

Gold Member

There is no *proof*, but there is a "classical" way to calculate it. But still it`s not a *proof*.
    Assume that this relation for the mean values is valid:
    <P>=m*d<x>/dt.
    Then substitute <x>=(Ψ,xΨ), do the math and you`ll get the well known result:
    <P>=(Ψ,pΨ), where p is the momentum`s operator.

8. Apr 23, 2008 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No JK423, that is not what you do. You want to show that the p operator is the generator of translations and that it fulfills certain commutation relations.

9. Apr 23, 2008 #8

JK423

Gold Member

I mentioned a way to calculate momentum`s operator in {x} representation from a known classical equation. What`s wrong about that?
    What do you mean by
    "You want to show that the p operator is the generator of translations and that it fulfills certain commutation relations" ?
    You can show these these things without knowing what operator p equals to?

10. Apr 23, 2008 #9

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well what you wrote is ok :-)
    but is not a proof, as you said.

but I know what p equals, so I can proove that it is the generator of translation and fulfills certain commutator relations. I did not say that i was about to derive the momentum operator, which is done by doing the steps backwards. I.e I demand translations symmetry and that it fulfills certain commutator relations.

It is quite simple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?