1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum please help

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    Momentum...please help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A child of mass 31 kg sits on a wooden horse on a carousel. The wooden horse is 4.2 m from the center of the carousel, which rotates at a constant rate and completes one revolution every 6.7 seconds.

What are the magnitude and direction of the perpendicular component of dp/dt for the child

2. Relevant equations

p = mv

3. The attempt at a solution

speed = d/t = 3.9 m/s
    p = mv = 31 kg*3.9 m/s = 12.09 kg*m/s

But I don't know how to compute the components of dp/dt? I know the parallel component is 0 and has no direction, so what would the perpendicular one be? Thanks for the help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, dp/dt is a force.

Think of the centripetal/centrifugal forces.

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    so is it essentially the components of the centripetal force?

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Essentially that.

The acceleration comes from the change of the direction of velocity rather than change of the tangential speed. dp/dt = m dv/dt where m is the constant mass, and the speed of v is constant, but the vector changes direction constantly.

The horse holds the child, who would otherwise fly off the merrygoround tangentially. The horse and child are in static equilibrium - the child's mass imposes a force on the horse which imposes an equal force back on the child holding him or her in place.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/circ.html

6. Sep 20, 2007 #5
    so dp/dt = m *dv/t = 31 kg * 3.9 m/s / 6.7 s = 18.03 kg*m/s/s. how do I get the components out of this?

7. Sep 20, 2007 #6
    nevermind...i finally got it :-) thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?