1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum .Please help

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    Momentum.....Please urgent help!!!

My Question:
    A 1500 kg car moving east at 38 m/s collides with a 1780 kg car moving south at 15 m/s and the two cars stick together.
    (a) What is the velocity of the cars right after the collision? _______m/s ______o

(b) How much kinetic energy was converted to another form during the collision? ______kJ

My attempt:

So i used the momentum formula and got the total momentum before collision and made it equal to the momentum after the collsion but didn't get the right answer.

Before collision: car1:
    p=m1v1=(1500kg)(38m/s)=57000

car2:
    p=m2v2=(1780kg)(-15m/s)=-26700

p1+p2=P total
    57000+(-26700)=30300

After collision: car1:
    p=1500v1

car2:
    p=1780v2

v1=v2 because of collision therefore

30300=(1500+1780)v
    v=9.24m/s

when i took out the negative i got a different answer (25.5m/s) which was also wrong.

Part B i've no idea how to do:uhh:

Please tell me what i'm doing wrong!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    Re: Momentum.....Please urgent help!!!

Remember that velocity, and hence momentum, are vector quantities and need to be treated as such when adding them together. I think you attempted to do this with the minus sign, but these vectors are not opposite in direction. They are at 90 degrees to one another. Draw a diagram of the momenta vectors. It may help you see how to combine them for the total.

Also, for part b, remember Kinetic energy is not a vector quantity. determine the total kinetic energy before the collision and compare it to thee total kinetic energy after the collision and determine the difference.

4. Oct 12, 2008 #3

First of all........thanks Galileo's Ghost for all your help

Ok.....part a: Yes i understand what your saying....my first try was without the negative sign and i still got that wrong.....so it must be my method that's messed up

And how am i supposed to find the angle?????

Lastly as long as i know how to get part a then i can get part b.

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

do you go to wayne state university?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?