Does Momentum Change in Horizontal Direction When Mass is Lowered?

In summary: I'll be back, PF. Bye bye.In summary, the conversation discusses whether the speed in the horizontal direction changes when tossing something off a cart moving at a constant velocity on a frictionless surface. Person 1 argues that it does not change because the exerted force is perpendicular to the motion, while Person 2 argues that it does change due to conservation of momentum in both components. Upon further analysis, it is determined that Person 1 is correct, as the change in mass does not directly affect the speed of the cart.
Nikkolas

Homework Statement

You are on a cart going at a constant velocity on a frictionless surface. You toss something off the cart in a direction that is perpendicular to your motion, thus lowering the mass of the cart/you system. Does the speed in the horizontal direction change?

Person 1 says: No, because you exerted a force in the perpendicular direction, thus it doesn't affect the car's horizontal motion.

Person 2 says: Yes, because the total momentum of the system is conserved due to the lack of a net external force, thus the horizontal component of momentum is also conserved, thus the change in mass of the cart automatically increases its speed in the horizontal direction.

Who's right?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Nikkolas! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Tell us which you think is right, and why, and we'll comment on it! :smile:

I think the second person is right. Conservation of momentum is valid just because there is no external net force acting on the entire system. The momentum in both components should be conserved then. This means that the mass thrown off the cart should be compensated with a greater cart velocity in the direction it was traveling in.

But then again, I can't imagine something accelerating in a certain direction (horizontal in this case) unless a component of the net force was exerted on that something in that direction (there is no horizontal force exerted on either object). I'm honestly stumped.

Hi tiny-tim! Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the advice!

Nikkolas said:
Person 2 says: … the horizontal component of momentum is also conserved, thus the change in mass of the cart automatically increases its speed in the horizontal direction.
Nikkolas said:
I think the second person is right. Conservation of momentum is valid just because there is no external net force acting on the entire system. The momentum in both components should be conserved then. This means that the mass thrown off the cart should be compensated with a greater cart velocity in the direction it was traveling in.

(i wish you wouldn't keep saying "the horizontal direction" … both directions are horizontal :rolleyes:)

Why should the change in mass of the cart cause a change in the speed of the cart?

I apologize. I'll stick to x,y,z. lol.

It shouldn't. Net forces cause accelerations, not changes in mass. If the floor is frictionless and a cart is moving at a constant speed, me removing a mass shouldn't make it go faster or slower. This is what I think, but the conservation of momentum keeps on slapping me in the face.

Well, momentum is mass times speed, and Person 2 is saying that conservation of momentum means that lower cart mass means higher cart speed … what is wrong with that? :wink:

I caught mine and #2's error. I mixed my frames of reference, so I didn't take into consideration the component of the projectile's momentum along the direction in which the cart is traveling. Cool. Number 1 wins. Thank you for the hints, tiny-tim.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum different from velocity?

Momentum takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object, while velocity only describes the speed and direction of an object's motion.

3. Why is momentum important?

Momentum is important because it is a fundamental concept in physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of moving objects. It is also conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum (p) can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), so the formula is p = mv.

5. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to the motion of an object in a straight line, while angular momentum describes the motion of an object around a fixed point or axis. In other words, linear momentum involves movement in a single direction, while angular momentum involves rotation.