1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Problem on a chain

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A chain of length L and total mass M is released from rest with its lower end just touching the top of a table. Find the force exerted by the table on the chain after the chain has fallen through a distance x. (Assume each link comes to rest the instant it reaches the table.)

2. Relevant equations
    p= mv
    ek= (1/2)mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I tried to find the force by taking the derivative of kinetic energy:
    ek= (1/2)mv^2
    m= M(L-x)/L, v^2= 2xg
    ek= Mxg(L-x)/L
    d/dt(ek)= Mgv-2Mgxv/L

F= [d/dt(ek)]/v= Mg-2Mgx/L
    But this turns out to be the wrong answer. Any advice? Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2
    Assuming that the mass is distributed equally along the chain, what proportion of the mass M is on the table when a length x out of a total length L is on the table?
  4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    mass= M(x/L)
    But I don't think its as simple as the normal force of the mass on the table: Mg(x/L).
  5. Jan 21, 2009 #4
    Well the answer does seem a bit simple and obvious. But I think it is right.
    Let's ask ourselves what force, if any, does the table exert on the part of the chain which is falling?
  6. Jan 21, 2009 #5
    In addition to the normal force, I think there is also a force somehow related to the motion of the part of the chain that is in the air. Mg(x/L) is not the right answer according to the book.
  7. Jan 22, 2009 #6
    OK a force is characterised by a change in momentum.

At the beginning the momentum of the chain is zero.

After the chain has fallen X the part of the chain in motion has a certain momentum.

Maybe they want you to express the instantaneous change in momentum.
  8. Jan 25, 2009 #7
    Thanks for the help.
    So d/dt[ (M(L-X)/L) * sqrt(sgX) ] = ... Mg - 3Mgx/L
    -> Force= 3Mgx/L - Mg
    This is fairly close to the answer = 3Mgx/L. Why is there the Mg?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?