1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Problem on a glider

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Gliders C and D, of masses 2kg and 4kg, respectively, collide on a frictionless track. Glider C initially moves to the right with a speed of .6 m/s relative to the track, while glider D is at rest. After the collision, glider C moves to the left with a speed of .2 m/s. System S consists of gliders C and D.

2. Relevant equations
    What is the magnitudes and directions of the momentum vectors for glider C, glider D, and system S before and after the collision?

Is the momentum of system S before the collision the same as it is after the collision? Explain.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to find the momentum of glider C before and after the collision using p=mv. I also knew glider D would not have a momentum vector before the collision because it is at rest.

I could not find the momentum of glider D after the collision or the momentum vectors of system S.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know momwntum is a conserved quantity. Therefore the momentum before should equal the momentum afterwards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook