1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Problem on Water hose

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    It's my first time writing on this forum, hope i'm posting in the correct section.

Problem :

A hose directs a horizontal jet of water on to a vertical wall.

What is the force on the wall, under the above conditions ? Explain.

Thanks for any replies

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Please post the complete problem exactly as it was given.

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    A hose directs a horizontal jet of water, moving with a velocity of 20ms^-1, on to a vertical wall. The cross-sectional area of the jet is 5 x 10^-4 m^2. If the density of water is 1000kg m^-3:

a) fin the rate of change of momentum as the water hits the wall, assuming that the water is brought to rest there;

b) what is the force on the wall, under the above conditions? Explain

5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

Doc Al

That's better. Hints for a: How much water hits the wall every second? What's its momentum just before it hits the wall? What's its momentum just after hitting the wall? What's the change in momentum?

6. Dec 5, 2007 #5
    I worked out part a, i'm stuck with the theoratic part now. Can't really understand the question. Thanks for your replies btw

7. Dec 5, 2007 #6

Doc Al

I'm not sure I understand. You completed part a? And you're stuck on part b?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?