1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum problem

1. Jul 17, 2006 #1
    Two balls A and B having different but unkown masses collide. A is initially at rest and B has a speed v moving North. After collision B has a speed v/2 and moves perpendicular (East) to the original motion. Find the direction of motion of A after collision. Is it possible to determine the speed of A from the information given? Explain.

What I did was I drew out a grid with x and y axis, and I figured that the y-axis would have to cancel out while momentum is conserved in the x-axis, so the motion is going to be somewhere in hte lower left quadrant. But after that, I'm stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From conservation of momentum:

[tex]m_a\vec{v_{af}} + m_b\vec{v_{bf}} = m_b\vec{v_{bi}}[/tex]

So:

(1) [tex]m_av_{af}\cos\theta = -m_bv/2[/tex]

(2) [tex]m_av_{af}\sin\theta = m_bv[/tex]

Dividing 2 by 1:

[tex]\tan\theta = -2[/tex]

So you know the angle.

If you also assume that there is conservation of energy, you can determine the speed of a in terms of the relative masses:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_bv^2 = \frac{1}{2}m_bv^2/4 + \frac{1}{2}m_av_a^2[/tex]

[tex]m_av_a^2 = \frac{3}{4}m_bv^2[/tex]

which gives us:

[tex]v_a = \sqrt{\frac{3m_b}{4m_a}}v[/tex]

But I think that is as far as you can go unless you know the relative masses.

AM

Edit: tan = -2

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  4. Jul 17, 2006 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've got it backwards there. Assuming north is positive y-axis, momentum must be conserved vertically, and horizontally it must cancel out. So the new momentum must be in the upper left quadrant.

Does that help at all?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?