Solve Momentum Problem: Skateboarder Mass m1=48kg Jumps 2.9kg Board at Rest

• Thread starter fishert16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the problem involves a skateboarder with a mass of 48kg running at 6.8m/s and jumping onto a skateboard with a mass of 2.9kg at rest on a curved ramp. Using the equations for conservation of linear momentum and conservation of mechanical energy, the height that the skateboarder and the skateboard reach is approximately 2.36m. However, more information is needed, such as the curvature of the ramp and any friction between the board and the ramp, to solve the problem more accurately.
fishert16
A Skateboarder with mass m1=48kg runs at 6.8m/s and jumps onto her skateboard with mass m2=2.9kg which is at rest at the bottom of a curved ramp. When the skateboarder lands on the board, how high does she and the skateboard go?

Relevant equations

w=[1/2(MVf^s)-1/2(MVi^2)]+[(MGHf-MGHi)]

The attempt at a solution

[(1/2(50.9)(0)^2)-(1/2(50.9)(6.8)^2)]+[(50.9)(9.8)(x)-(50.9)(9.8)(0)]
I found this to work out to
(0-1176.81)+(498.82x-0)
x=2.36m

I have worked out his equation and found Hf to be 2.36m I am just not sure if this is correct or if not could someone enlighten me on another equation or where i went wrong thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be better if you could show your work. You may get the right answer using wrong method, too.

There must be more to this problem. For example, how curved is the ramp? What about friction between the board and the ramp? Does the skateboarder jump onto her skateboard with the same running speed?

I have edited to show the work and give a better view to show what i have done.

fishert16 said:
A Skateboarder with mass m1=48kg runs at 6.8m/s and jumps onto her skateboard with mass m2=2.9kg which is at rest at the bottom of a curved ramp. When the skateboarder lands on the board, how high does she and the skateboard go?
[(1/2(50.9)(0)^2)-(1/2(50.9)(6.8)^2)]+[(50.9)(9.8)(x)-(50.9)(9.8)(0)]
I found this to work out to
(0-1176.81)+(498.82x-0)
x=2.36m

Where is it stated in problem that the person and the skateboard move at 6.8 m/s? You have titled this thread "Momentum problem," but it seems you have not considered momentum at all!

Well that does not help me determine how to fix this problem. Should the velocity used in the problem be found from (MV1+MV2) = M(1+2)V(1+2) and solve for V1+2?

Should the velocity used in the problem be found from (MV1+MV2) = M(1+2)V(1+2) and solve for V1+2?

Yes, that's right.

so i found that to be 6.4m/s and i would plug this into where i intially had 6.8 and this should yield the correct answer

fishert16 said:
so i found that to be 6.4m/s and i would plug this into where i intially had 6.8 and this should yield the correct answer
Yep. All that you are using is conservation of linear momentum in the first case, and the conservation of mechanical energy to the find the height.

Thanks for the help

1. What is momentum and how is it calculated?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In this problem, the skateboarder's momentum can be calculated by multiplying their mass (48kg) by their velocity (unknown).

2. What is the momentum of the skateboarder before and after the jump?

Before the jump, the skateboarder's momentum is 0 since they are at rest. After the jump, the skateboarder's momentum can be calculated by multiplying their mass (48kg) by their velocity (unknown). The momentum will depend on the velocity at which the skateboarder jumps off the board.

3. How does the mass of the skateboarder and the board affect the momentum?

The mass of the skateboarder and the board will affect the total momentum of the system. In this problem, the skateboarder has a greater mass than the board, so their momentum will be larger than the momentum of the board. However, the skateboarder's velocity will also play a role in determining the overall momentum.

4. What is the relationship between momentum and velocity?

Momentum and velocity are directly proportional, meaning that as one increases, the other increases as well. In this problem, as the skateboarder's velocity increases, their momentum will also increase.

5. How does the conservation of momentum apply to this problem?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning that the initial momentum of the system will be equal to the final momentum. In this problem, the initial momentum of the skateboarder and the board (0) will be equal to the final momentum after the jump.