1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum problem

1. Apr 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car with a gun and a man is rest on a frictionless floor.The total mass is 50m where m is the mass of a single shell.Now,the man fires each shell with a muzzle speed 200 m/s.and the car recoils.What is the speed aftyer the 2nd time firing?

2. Relevant equations

v_sc=v_sf-v_cf where v_sc,v_sf,
    v_cf are velocity of shell w.r.t. car,velocity of shell w.r.t. floor, velocity of car w.r.t. floor

3. The attempt at a solution

R_CM=[1/(50m)][49m*r_cf+m*r_sf]

(d/dt)R_CM=[1/(50m)] [49m*v_cf+m* v_sf ]=0

49m*v_cf+m*[ v_sc + v_cf ] =0 from relevant eqn.

This gives,v_cf=-[v_sc/50 m/s
    =-200/50 (i) m/s where (i) is the unit vector

v_sf=(49/50)v_sc

w.r.t the same frame,
    {48m*v'_cf+m*[v'_sc+v'_cf]}+m*(49/50)v_sc=0
    49v'_cf=-v'_sc-(49/50)v_sc
    v'_cf=-200(1/50+1/49)(i)

Please check if I went wrong anywhere

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2
    I think I am correct.However,I have noticed that even if you do not take the whole of the system in the second case,even then the problem can be done.Just we have to use a more familiar version of conservation of linear momentum and apply it over the region of interest.

I want to know to what extent it is justified to use two different systems in a SINGLE problem to have a unique result?MY intuition suggests when the results match there should be some deeper way of understanding the physics.
    If the result does not match,...then...it is an accident?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?