1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum problem.

1. Dec 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A space probe with mass of 7.60 * 10^3 kg is traveling at 125 m/s. Missions control decides that a course correction of 30 degrees is needed. and instructs probe to fire rockets perpendicular to present direction of motion. If gas expelled by rockets has speed of 3.200 km/s, what mass of gas should be released?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    3.200 km/s-->3200 m/s

I'm totally stuck on this one. I'm not good at physics, so I need someone to walk me through this problem thoroughly.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2
    Use conservation of momentum considerations.

I can't help you too much because you've shown no attempt at solving this problem on your own.
  4. Dec 19, 2007 #3
    Initial Momentum = Final Momentum.

Run with that and see if it gets you anywhere.
  5. Dec 19, 2007 #4
    uh, i'm confused.
    i don't know the final velocity of the rockets....
  6. Dec 19, 2007 #5
    or wait, would the rockets' initial velocity be zero?
  7. Dec 20, 2007 #6
    The initial velocity of the gas would be zero with respect to the probe. Consider the total momentum of the proble + gas system. It is this vector quantity that remains unchanged.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?