Solve Momentum Problem: Find Ball Velocities

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of two balls colliding with each other. The first ball has a mass of 2kg and a speed of 5 m/s, while the second ball has a mass of 2.5 kg. After the collision, the first ball deviates by 35 degrees and the second ball moves off at an angle of 50 degrees. The conversation includes equations for the conservation of momentum in the x and y directions, and the final velocities for both balls are calculated to be 3.84 m/s.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

A ball of mas m1 = 2kg is moving with a speed of 5 m/s and collides with a ball of mass m2 = 2.5 kg (there are losses so the collision is inelastic). After the collision the incoming ball has deviated by 35 degrees from its origin. The struck ball has moved off at an angle of 50 degrees. Find both balls final velocities.

Homework Equations

Pxi = Pxf
Pyi = Pyf

The Attempt at a Solution

I think solved it, if someone could though, I would like to have it checked to make sure I did it right. Thanks in advance.

I found the Conservation of Momentum in the x:

[tex] m_{1}v_{1ix} = m_{1}v_{1fx} + m_{2}v_{2fx} [/tex]
[tex]m_{1}v_{1}cos(0) = m_{1}v_{1f}cos(35) + m_{2}v_{2f}cos(-50)[/tex]

[tex]m_{1}v_{1} = m_{1}v_{1f}cos(35) + m_{2}v_{2f}cos(-50)[/tex]

Then I found it in the y and solved for [tex]v_{2f} [/tex]

[tex]m_{1}v_{1iy} = m_{1}v_{1fy} + m_{2}v_{2fy}[/tex]
[tex]m_{1}v_{1i}sin(0) = m_{1}v_{1f}sin(35) + m_{2}V_{2f}sin(-50)[/tex]
[tex]0 = m_{1}v_{1f}sin(35) + m_{2}v_{2f}sin(-50)[/tex]

[tex]m_{1}v_{1f}sin(35) = -m_{2}v_{2f}sin(-50)[/tex]

[tex]v_{2f} = \frac{-m_{1}v_{1f}sin(35)}{m_{2}v{2f}sin(-50)} [/tex]

Then I plugged it into the x equation.

[tex]m_{1}v_{1} = m_{1}v_{1f}cos(35) + m_{2}\frac{-m_{1}v_{1f}sin(35)}{m_{2}sin(-50)}cos(-50)}[/tex]

Then solved for [tex] v_{1f} [/tex]

[tex] v_{1f}[\frac{-m_{1}sin(35)cos(-50)}{sin(-50)} + m_{1}cos(35)] = m_{1}v_{1i}[/tex]

[tex]v_{1f}[\frac{-2sin(35)cos(-50)}{sin(-50)} + 2cos(35)] = 10 [/tex]

For v_{1f} I got 3.84. Is this the right way to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me! :approve:

Thanks, you have helped me with a lot of problems, I really appreciate it.

1. What is momentum and how is it calculated?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is:

Momentum = mass x velocity

2. How do I find the velocity of a ball in a momentum problem?

In order to find the velocity of a ball in a momentum problem, you will need to know its mass and the momentum of the ball. The velocity can be calculated by dividing the momentum by the mass:

Velocity = momentum / mass

3. Can I use any units for mass and velocity in a momentum problem?

Yes, you can use any units for mass and velocity as long as they are consistent. For example, if the mass is given in kilograms, the velocity should also be given in meters per second.

4. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. This means that the total momentum of all objects involved in an interaction will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.

5. Are there any real world applications of momentum problems?

Yes, momentum problems have many real world applications, such as calculating the velocity of a moving car after a collision or determining the speed of a rocket after launch. Momentum is also important in sports, such as calculating the speed of a baseball after being hit by a bat.