Momentum Problem: Kid Pushing Sled on Ice

• Thread starter JT1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary: I would recommend it to anyone.Haha much the same, finished up my math courses then got into physics and other sciences but can definietely tell doing it that way will help a ton in the long run. I would recommend it to anyone.
JT1000

Homework Statement

A kid pushes a sled on ice that is smooth, level and essentially frictionless. The kid is 50kg, the sled is 10kg, he pushes the sled hard enough to give it a veloctity of 5m/s. How fast does he end up moving backwards on the ice when letting go of the sled?

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I did p=mv to find the sleds momentum which is p=(10)(5) for a total of 50m/s. Due to law of conservation of Momentum the boy will have the same momentum correct? Thus leaving me with finding the boys momentum as 50=(50)v and his velocity being 1m/s? Thanks in advance![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
JT1000 said:
Due to law of conservation of Momentum the boy will have the same momentum correct?
Yes, but in the opposite direction!

JT1000 said:
for a total of 50m/s
Your units are off. m/s is a unit of velocity, not of momentum.
JT1000 said:
50=(50)v
Always write out your units or your equations will not make sense. This should be ##50~\mbox{kg m/s} = (50~\mbox{kg}) v##.

Likes JT1000
Orodruin said:
Yes, but in the opposite direction!

Your units are off. m/s is a unit of velocity, not of momentum.

Always write out your units or your equations will not make sense. This should be ##50~\mbox{kg m/s} = (50~\mbox{kg}) v##.

Oh yes i totally spaced the boy is going the opposite direction! Also i didnt mean to add the m/s to the momentum. I apologize for the lack of units it is duly noted for future equations.
50 kg m/s=(50kg)v
Velocity of the boy = 1kg m/s

JT1000 said:
Velocity of the boy = 1kg m/s
Again, units.

Likes JT1000
This is the boys speed in reference to the sled so wouldent the correct unit be 1kg m/s?

kg m/s is not a unit of speed.

Likes JT1000
JT1000 said:
This is the boys speed in reference to the sled so wouldent the correct unit be 1kg m/s?
Regardless of the boy's speed relative to any object, speed will always me m/s. This is exactly how momentum will always be kg m/s.

Edit: Orodruin beat me to it...

Likes JT1000
lekh2003 said:
Regardless of the boy's speed relative to any object, speed will always me m/s. This is exactly how momentum will always be kg m/s.

Edit: Orodruin beat me to it...

Ah dangit thank you guys I'm over thinking this one! Been at it for a while and it makes sense now. Thanks so much for your help!

JT1000 said:
Ah dangit thank you guys I'm over thinking this one! Been at it for a while and it makes sense now. Thanks so much for your help!
Always happy to help.

Likes JT1000
A tip I can give you to avoid these units issues is to work with the units in your equation. Pretend like the units are variables that are always present with their corresponding numbers. This way, you will always end up with the correct units in the end.

Likes JT1000
lekh2003 said:
A tip I can give you to avoid these units issues is to work with the units in your equation. Pretend like the units are variables that are always present with their corresponding numbers. This way, you will always end up with the correct units in the end.

Ya definietely not a bad idea. I tend to not use them as I work through it but I'll be using them for now on in my work process.

JT1000 said:
Ya definietely not a bad idea. I tend to not use them as I work through it but I'll be using them for now on in my work process.
I used to work like you did. I had come to physics right after a few math courses. In those courses, units were basically useless and never bothered about. I thought that units would be too much of a hassle at first, but I came to love the idea.

Likes JT1000
lekh2003 said:
I used to work like you did. I had come to physics right after a few math courses. In those courses, units were basically useless and never bothered about. I thought that units would be too much of a hassle at first, but I came to love the idea.

Haha much the same, finished up my math courses then got into physics and other sciences but can definietely tell doing it that way will help a ton in the long run.

Likes lekh2003

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, specifically its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event (such as a collision) is equal to the total momentum after the event. This means that momentum is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed.

4. How does pushing a sled on ice demonstrate momentum?

Pushing a sled on ice demonstrates momentum because the force applied by the kid causes the sled to accelerate, increasing its velocity. As the sled's velocity increases, its momentum also increases.

5. How does friction affect the momentum of the sled?

Friction between the sled and the ice will act in the opposite direction of the sled's motion, slowing it down. This results in a decrease in the sled's momentum. Additionally, the friction between the child's feet and the ice also plays a role in slowing down the sled's momentum.