1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Ques.

1. Mar 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball with mass m with an initial velocity of 5 m/s strikes a ball with a mass of 3m hanging at rest from a string 50 cm long. Find the maximum angle(x) with which the block swings after its hit.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well first I solved the momentum

to get vB2=5-vA2

Then I used conservation of energy to get

[tex]sqrt {25 - v_{A2}/3} [\tex]

I solved the two equations for vB2 and got 3.53 m/s

So, since the kinetic energy from the start of the mass on the pendelum moving to its peak is h=(.5-.5cosx)

I solved for the angle and got 50.2 degrees.

Anyone see anything wrong with my math or my logic? I can only attempt the problem one more time before the program gives me no credit.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Couldn't you just use energy conservation, since the block's kinetic energy at the maximal angle equals zero? It posesses only potential energy at that point, and at the impact point, there is only kinetic energy from the ball.
  4. Mar 6, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The other ball carries away some of the kinetic energy. I think he's doing it right. I haven't checked the answer though.
  5. Mar 6, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

Good point, so after reconsidering...

...shouldn't this be VB2 = (5 - VA2)/3 ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?