What is the velocity and direction of the wreckage after the collision?

• Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the Oldsmobile and truck collided at an intersection while traveling at 14.3 m/s and 10.8 m/s respectively. After the impact, the wreckage had a velocity of 8.63 m/s at an angle of 55.9 degrees. The problem can be resolved using two equations in the x and y directions.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
A 2082 kg Oldsmobile traveling east on Saginaw Street at 14.3 m/s is unable to stop on the ice covered intersection for a red light at Abbott Road. The car collides with a 4070 kg truck hauling animal feed north on Abbott at 10.8 m/s. The two vehicles remain locked together after the impact. Calculate the velocity of the wreckage immediately after the impact. Give the speed for your first answer and the compass heading for your second answer. (remember, the CAPA abbreviation for degrees is deg)
------------------------------------------
So, you can add the momentums like vectors to get the resultant.

Pr = sqrt {((2082)(14.3))^2 + ((4070)(10.8))^2}
Pr = 53089.9 N*s

P = P'
So, 53089.9 = (combined mass)v'

v' = (53089.9)/(6152)
v = 8.63 m/s

and the angle.

theta = tan(inverse) of (43956)/(29772.6)
= 55.9 deg

HELP ME

Physics news on Phys.org
Resolve the problem into two different equations since it's in 2D

x direction:
m1 * v1 * cos(theta) + m2 * v2 * cos(theta') = (m1+m2) * v3 * cos(theta'')

y direction:
m1 * v1 * sin(theta) + m2 * v2 * sin(theta') = (m1+m2) * v3 * sin(theta'')

i don't know what angles to use. can you please be more specific. i need help!

Someone, come on. I know basic physics. Give me a freakin bone.

On the LHS of the equation Nothing gave the angles are given in the problem (east and north). You'll have to solve for the angle (its the same for the x and y direction equations) on the other side.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, taking into account both its mass and velocity. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity.

2. What are the units of momentum?

The units of momentum are kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s) in the metric system, and slug-feet per second (slug*ft/s) in the imperial system.

3. How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of all objects in the system remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

4. How does momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, particularly the second law which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This can be written as F=ma. In terms of momentum, this can be rewritten as F=Δp/Δt, where F is the net force, Δp is the change in momentum, and Δt is the change in time.

5. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to the motion of an object in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to the motion of an object around a fixed axis. Linear momentum is conserved in collisions and other interactions, while angular momentum is conserved in rotational motion.