Minimum Length of Barge for Plane Forced Landing: 510m

• Thread starter excel000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary: The barge will move backward even while the plane is moving forward, so the final velocity of the plane and the barge should be the same.
excel000

Homework Statement

A 1000kg plane is trying to make a forced landing on the deck of a 2000kg barge at rest on the surface of a calm sea. The only frictional force to consider is between the plane's wheels and the deck, and this braking force is constant and equal to a quarter of the the plane's weight. What mus the minimum length of the barge be, in order that the plane can stop safely on deck, if the plane touches down just at the rear end of the deck with a velocity of 50m/s towards the front of the barge?

Homework Equations

F=ma
m1v1 +m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

The Attempt at a Solution

first i found the friction force
Ff=1/2mg
=1/2(1000kg)(9.8)
Ff=2450N

then i found the acceleration of the plane
F=ma
-2450/1000=a
a=-2.45m/s^2

then i used kinematics to find the displacement
V2^2 = V1^2 + 2ad
0 = 50^2 + 2(-2.45)d
d=510m

i don't know if this is the right answer, but since this is a question from a momentum assignment, is there a step involving momentum that i missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
excel000 said:
i don't know if this is the right answer, but since this is a question from a momentum assignment, is there a step involving momentum that i missed?
Yep. What's the final speed of the plane + barge?

Also realize that while the plane moves forward, the barge moves backward.

shouldnt the planes final velocity be 0?

mpvp + mbvb = mpvp' + mbvb'
1000(50) + 0 = 0 + 2000vb'
vb'=25m/s
the equation says that the barge is moving forward

excel000 said:
shouldnt the planes final velocity be 0?
The final velocity of both barge and plane had better be the same. Redo your momentum equation.

exactly, v1' = v2' because th exlane and the barge will move at the same velocity after the landing, as one object persay.. (for simplicity) so the equation is m1v1 = m1v' + m2v'

m2v2 = 0 as the barge is at rest

ok so its like this?
mpvp + mbvb = mv(barge and plane)
1000(50) + 0 = (1000+2000)v
v= 16.67m/s

Last edited:
excel000 said:
oh, its all relative to the water
Exactly.

ok so using that velocity from above i subbed all the info into this equation
v2^2 = v1^2 +2ad
16.67^2 = 50^2 +2(-2.45)d
d=453m

excel000 said:
ok so using that velocity from above i subbed all the info into this equation
v2^2 = v1^2 +2ad
16.67^2 = 50^2 +2(-2.45)d
d=453m
Careful. You found the distance the plane moves with respect to the water. But as I said earlier, don't neglect the movement of the barge.

1. What is the minimum length of a barge needed for a forced plane landing?

The minimum length of a barge for a plane forced landing is 510 meters. This is the minimum distance required for a plane to safely land and come to a complete stop on the barge.

2. Why is the minimum length for a barge important for a plane forced landing?

The minimum length of a barge is important because it ensures that the plane has enough space to safely land and come to a complete stop without any obstructions. This distance is calculated based on the average landing speed and stopping distance of a plane.

3. How is the minimum length of a barge determined for a plane forced landing?

The minimum length of a barge for a plane forced landing is determined by considering various factors such as the type and weight of the plane, the landing speed, and the stopping distance. These factors are then used to calculate the minimum length required for a safe landing.

4. Can a plane land on a barge shorter than the minimum length?

No, a plane cannot safely land on a barge shorter than the minimum length of 510 meters. Attempting to land on a barge that is too short can result in the plane not being able to stop in time, leading to potential accidents and damage to the plane.

5. What happens if a plane is forced to land on a barge that is shorter than the minimum length?

If a plane is forced to land on a barge that is shorter than the minimum length, it can result in the plane not being able to come to a complete stop, potentially leading to accidents and damage to the plane. It is important to ensure that the minimum length requirement is met for a safe forced landing on a barge.