1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Question

1. Dec 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 82kg girl is coasting along the floor on a large 2.0kg skateboard. If she is moving 1.8 m/s when a 46kg boy jumps on to the same skateboard, what is the speed of the skateboard immediately after the boy jumps on it?

2. Relevant equations

Sum of Initial Momentum = Sum of Final Momentum

3. The attempt at a solution

This question looked pretty easy.. but Im sure Im doing something wrong... here's what I did so far:
    (84kg)(1.8m/s) + (130kg)(0m/s) = (84kg + 130kg)Vf

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2007 #2
    Sorry.. forgot the last part..
    I got vf=0.7065m/s

Im not sure if this is right or not.. it SEEMS like an okay speed.. but I havn't done this type of question before.. so just want to be sure. Thanks!

4. Dec 28, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

You should only be looking at the initial and final momentums of the skateboard (and what ever is on it).

So it starts off with a total mass of 84 kg, going at 1.8 m/s. At the end, It has the mass of a 46 kg boy, so the total mass is 130 kg, and v_1 m/s is what we are trying to find. Equating both sides and making v_1 the subject;

[tex] 84 kg \cdot 1.8 ms^{-1} = 130 kg \cdot v_1 ms^{-1}[/tex]

[tex] v_1 = \frac{84 \cdot 1.8}{130}[/tex]

I can already tell thats larger than one, so recheck your answer =]

5. Dec 29, 2007 #4
    Hmm.. that makes sense.. but the answer to that would be 1.163m/s. The answer is 0.97m/s. I don't know how to get to that..

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  6. Dec 29, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well, That is somewhat odd...I think it's an error in the textbook, but it has been a while since I've studied Physics so I recommend you wait for someone who has more knowledge in this area to confirm.

7. Dec 29, 2007 #6

mjsd

Homework Helper

unless there are something else in the problem we have not addressed, otherwise I believe Gib Z's correct.

8. Dec 31, 2007 #7
    Yeah.. more than likely it is.. thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?