Solve Momentum Question: 5kg Object, 15 kg m/s, 8 m/s in 15s

• Thread starter zaga04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, to find the net force required to accelerate a 5kg object from a momentum of 15 kg m/s to a velocity of 8 m/s over 15 seconds, we use the formula F=deltaP/deltaT. Plugging in the values, we get a net force of 2.67N, which is not listed as an answer choice. The correct formula to use is F=m(deltaV/deltaT), taking into account the initial momentum of the object.
zaga04

Homework Statement

1. A 5kg object has a momentum of 15 kg m/s. What is the net force required to accelerate the object to 8 m/s over 15 seconds?
A) .35N
B) 1.7N
C) 5.1 N
D) 11 N
E) 23 N

Homework Equations

F=deltaP/deltaT

The Attempt at a Solution

So I use that formula (which I am not sure is right). so wouldn't it be mv/t. So, (5)(8)/15 which is 2.67N which is not an answer choice.

I think I am using the wrong formula, but it's all I can think of! Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration is not v/t in this case. The object has initial velocity because its momentum is 15 kg m/s before it starts accelerating.

Your attempt at a solution is a good start, but you are using the wrong formula. The formula you are using, F=deltaP/deltaT, is for calculating the average force over a period of time. In this case, we are given the final velocity and time, but not the initial velocity, so we cannot use this formula.

Instead, we can use the formula F=m*a, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. We can rearrange this formula to solve for the acceleration, a=F/m. Then, we can use the formula for acceleration, a=(vf-vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

So, we have a=F/m=(vf-vi)/t. Rearranging this equation to solve for the net force, we get F=m*(vf-vi)/t. Plugging in the given values, we get F=(5kg)*(8m/s-0m/s)/15s=5.33N. This is closest to answer choice B) 1.7N, which is the correct answer. So the net force required to accelerate the object from rest to 8 m/s in 15 seconds is 1.7N.

What is momentum?

Momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a measure of the amount of motion an object has.

How do you calculate momentum?

The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

What are the units of momentum?

The units of momentum are kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

How do you solve a momentum question?

To solve a momentum question, you need to know the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the time frame in which the change in momentum occurs. You can then use the formula p = mv to calculate the momentum.

Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative if the direction of the velocity and the direction of the force are opposite. This indicates that the object is slowing down or changing direction.