1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Question

1. Dec 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A curling stone thrown takes 4.8 s to travel 60 m. The stone collides with another stone. The collision is a glancing one. If the second stone is deflected 25° and travels 1.5 m/s, calculate the angle of deflection of the first stone after collision. Omit any effects due to friction.

2. Relevant equations

ρbefore = ρafter

3. The attempt at a solution

I looked at splitting it up into the x and y directions, but couldn't get anywhere. I looked in the answer key, and its 3.3 degrees, but I have no idea how to get there. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, monkeygrif. Welcome to Physics Forums.

You have the right idea of setting up x and y components of momentum conservation.

Can you show more detail of your attempt?

4. Dec 13, 2012 #3
    Thanks!

x dir:

0 = mass(a)v2(a) + m(b)v2(b)

because of the wording of the question, i made the assumption that they had the same masses, and thus the masses were irrelevant, so:

0 = v2(a) + v2(b)

0 = v2(a)cosx - 1.5cos25

v2(a)cosx = 1.5cos25

y-dir:

same setup here, which ends up with:

v1(a) = v2(a) + v2(b)
    12.5 = v2(a)sinx + 1.5sin25
    v2(a)sinx = 11.87

from there i used the tangent ratio, tanx = opposite/adjacent, which gave me the x value of 83.4 degrees

5. Dec 13, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Looks pretty good. But note that you are taking the initial direction of motion of the first stone to be in the y-direction. That's fine. But then that means the deflection angles are measured with respect to the y-axis (not the x-axis). So, you'll need to think about whether you should use cosine or sine to get x-components. Similarly for y-components.

6. Dec 13, 2012 #5
    Thanks so much! Its all worked out now. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook