Calculating Momentum for 1kg Ball Falling Freely

• Thread starter JayK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary: Now, if we accept that impulse is the change in momentum, and we have a formula for impulse which includes time, and that formula is derived from the formula for Force, then we can see that indeed time is a factor. I think we are talking at cross-purposes. I am saying that for this problem, time is a factor, because impulse is force times time. You say that time is not a factor because impulse is the change in momentum. But the change in momentum takes time ... Which is the answer to my question in post #4. Now, if we accept that impulse is the change in momentum, and we have a formula for impulse which includes time, and that formula is derived from the
JayK
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
How long does a 1kg ball to reach the momentum of 75.5kgm/s if it free falls?

Homework Equations

Momentum= mass x velocity
F = (m x change in velocity) / change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first formula to find the velocity, which is 75.5m/s but I'm not sure what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formulas for motion with constant acceleration? Vfinal = Vinitial + acceleration*time.

JayK said:
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
How long does a 1kg ball to reach the momentum of 75.5kgm/s if it free falls?

Homework Equations

Momentum= mass x velocity
F = (m x change in velocity) / change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first formula to find the velocity, which is 75.5m/s but I'm not sure what to do next.
How long - there is a question of time.
does a 1 kg ball - there is mass
take to reach a momentum of 75.5 - there is momentum.
if you are dealing with momentum and time I would be considering Impulse.

PeterO said:
if you are dealing with momentum and time I would be considering Impulse.
Impulse is (change of) momentum, so that doesn't bring time in. What does connect momentum with time?

haruspex said:
Impulse is (change of) momentum, so that doesn't bring time in. What does connect momentum with time?
Not sure why you put "change of" in brackets? It is that very change that brings time in! Also to simply say "Impulse is momentum" is to utter a falsehood. Both quantities do share a common unit, but then so do Work and Energy, and we don't say they are the same thing.

PeterO said:
Not sure why you put "change of" in brackets?
So as to emphasise that impulse and momentum are dimensionally equivalent, which is what allows adding the one to the other.
PeterO said:
to simply say "Impulse is momentum" is to utter a falsehood.
That's why I qualified it by noting that impulse is a delta to momentum, like displacement is a delta to position.
PeterO said:
It is that very change that brings time in
It does not bring time in since the time taken for the change in momentum is immaterial to the impulse. To bring time in we would need to be considering rate of change (which is indeed helpful in this question).

haruspex said:
So as to emphasise that impulse and momentum are dimensionally equivalent, which is what allows adding the one to the other.

That's why I qualified it by noting that impulse is a delta to momentum, like displacement is a delta to position.

It does not bring time in since the time taken for the change in momentum is immaterial to the impulse. To bring time in we would need to be considering rate of change (which is indeed helpful in this question).
The object was in free-fall, so once we know what value of g we are to use for the problem, we know the Force acting, which with time will give the impulse and thus the change in momentum - and the answer to "How long ..."

PeterO said:
the Force acting,
Which is the answer to my question in post #4.

1. How do you calculate the momentum of a 1kg ball falling freely?

The formula for calculating momentum is mass multiplied by velocity. In this case, we know the mass is 1kg and the velocity is the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s2. Therefore, the momentum of a 1kg ball falling freely is 9.8 kgm/s.

2. Why is the velocity used in calculating momentum for a falling object?

Velocity is used because it represents the speed and direction of an object's motion. In the case of a falling object, the velocity is constantly changing due to the acceleration of gravity. Using the velocity at a specific point in time allows for an accurate calculation of the object's momentum.

3. Can momentum change during a free fall?

Yes, momentum can change during a free fall. As the velocity of the object changes, the momentum also changes. This is because momentum is directly proportional to velocity. However, the total momentum of the object will remain constant unless an external force acts on it.

4. Does the height of the fall affect the momentum of a 1kg ball?

The height of the fall does not affect the momentum of a 1kg ball. Momentum depends on the mass and velocity of an object, not the height. However, the height of the fall can affect the velocity of the object, which in turn affects the momentum.

5. How is momentum different from velocity?

Momentum and velocity are related, but they are not the same thing. Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while momentum is a vector quantity that only has magnitude. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while momentum tells us how much motion it has.