Physics Question: Momentum and Bob's Log

• Thread starter willworkforfood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the question is about whether catching the ball or letting it bounce off is more likely to topple Bob while standing on a log. Catching the ball could potentially lessen the impact by controlling its velocity and impact area, but standing still increases inertia. It is not a trick question and there are valid arguments for both catching and bouncing the ball. The person asking the question welcomes any thoughts, comments, or feedback.
willworkforfood
This is a question for my physics class I am stuck with.

"Bob is standing on a log and his friend is trying to knock him off by throwing a ball at him. Bob can catch the ball or let it bounce off of him. Which of the two is more likely to topple Bob: catching the ball or letting it bounce off?"

If he catches the ball, he could possibly dampen the blow by slowing its velocity. He can also control its impact area that way and therefore lessen the force of the ball in terms of force per area. However, if he stands still then his intertia is greater. So I can see either answer working.

Am I thinking too hard on this or is it some sort of trick question? I'm a physics noob and I can't think stuff like this out very well. Thoughts and comments and flames welcome :eek:)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a trick question. If he bounces the ball, not only does he absorb the ball's momentum but he adds to it by reversing the direction of the ball.

I would say that the answer to this question depends on a few factors. First, it would depend on the size and speed of the ball being thrown. If the ball is small and moving at a high velocity, catching it may not be enough to stop Bob from toppling off the log. In this case, it may be more likely for Bob to maintain his balance by letting the ball bounce off of him.

However, if the ball is larger and moving at a slower speed, catching it may be enough to counteract the force and prevent Bob from falling. In this scenario, it would be more likely for Bob to stay on the log by catching the ball.

Another factor to consider is Bob's own balance and coordination. If he is skilled at catching objects and maintaining his balance, then catching the ball may be the more likely option for him to stay on the log. On the other hand, if he is not as coordinated and may risk losing his balance by trying to catch the ball, then letting it bounce off may be the safer option for him.

Overall, it is difficult to determine which option is more likely to topple Bob without knowing more specific details about the situation. Both catching the ball and letting it bounce off have their own advantages and disadvantages, and it would ultimately depend on the specific circumstances of the scenario.

1. What exactly is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is directly connected to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that an object with greater momentum will require more force to change its motion, as described by Newton's Third Law of Motion.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to the motion of an object in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to the rotational motion of an object. They are both calculated using the same formula, but with different variables.

4. How does momentum conservation apply to Bob's log?

Momentum conservation states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In the case of Bob's log, if no external forces act upon it, the momentum of the log before and after it is released will be the same. This means that the log will continue to move at a constant velocity.

5. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. This happens when an object is moving in the opposite direction of its chosen positive direction. For example, if a car is moving west and its chosen positive direction is east, its momentum would be negative.