1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Question

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    Here is a link to the image: http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/2681/171812nv.gif

I found the initial momentum to be [itex]\left(50\cos{30^o},-50\sin{30^o}\right)[/itex] and the final momentum to be [itex]\left(50\cos{25^o},50\sin{25^o}\right)[/itex]. To find the change, I just subtracted these, but the answer is incorrect. Note: The method I used to find the initial and final vectors was to multiply the magnitude of the velocity by sine and cosine respectively, and then by 2 (the mass).

Can someone give me a hint as to where I went wrong?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What values did you get when you subtracted these momenta?

(Did you subtract the negative)

4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    Yes, I did. This is what I came up with (rounded off):

[tex]\Delta\vec{p}=\left<2.01,46.1\right>\text{N}-\text{s}[/tex]

...I hope it's just an arithmetic error. Please let me know what you think if you get a chance.

Thanks again! :smile:

5. Oct 30, 2005 #4
    ∆px = px`-px = 50cos25[E]-50cos30[E] ≈ 2.014[E]

∆py = py`-py = 50sin25[N]-50sin30 = 50sin25+50sin30[N] ≈ 46.131 [N]

Now you know the horizontal and verticial components of the impulse, but you need to add the vectors together to find the total impulse. Drawing these 2 vectors will form a right triangle in which you can use pythagorean theorem to find the total impulse.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  6. Oct 30, 2005 #5
    I need to find the vector change though, not the magnitude.

7. Oct 30, 2005 #6
    You mean the horizontal and vertical changes in momentum? Your answer looks correct then. What answer does your book give?

8. Oct 30, 2005 #7
    I don't have an answer for it, but it does give me a hint. It says that the impulse delivered to the mass by the plate only has a y-component. Does this mean I can get rid of my x component and use the y? For this problem, does that hint mean I would use (0,46.1) instead of (2.01,46.1)?

Thanks again.

9. Oct 30, 2005 #8
    Hmm, that's strange. If ∆px = 0, then px` = px but that clearly isn't the case here since the angle of incidence and the angle of deflection are not equal. I don't see how they can make that claim. I'm just as stumped as you are now. :yuck:

10. Oct 30, 2005 #9
    Hmm... I found the answer, which is the one I suggested above (0,46.1). I find that strange as well, but I guess I'll just have to work with some similar problems.

Thanks a lot for your help.

11. Oct 30, 2005 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dang! I was just coming back to this to point out that the frictionless steel surface could not have changed the x-momentum of the ball.

Therefore, the final speed could not be 50 m/s because 50 cos30 has to equal 2*v'*cos 25. From this you find v'.

12. Oct 30, 2005 #11
    Oh okay, I see the problem we both made here. We assumed that the final velocity of the ball was equal to the inital velocity but the question didn't state that. Tricky...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?