1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum questions

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

34zx6l0.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Mg deltha H

1/2mv^2

p=mv

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe statement to do with the Gravitational energy is correct, considering the equation I listed. I would have to agree with statement 2 since gpe=ke

Here is what I am thinking, I disagree with the Ke = the same as before collision.

my reason is 1/2mv^2= 0.16j ----- v= sqrt (0.32/71.6ex-3) now if this is correct we can work out the momentum

which i have down as 1.5 x10^-1 using, momentum is conserved we can work out velocity of the pellet which turns out to be 180m/s (I think this could be wrong)

But could I just say that, the collision was inelastic, hence kinetic energy is not conserved, therefore working out velocity from Momentum would be better since momentum is conserved.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

This is a terribly formatted post can you clean it up a bit and make sure your equations are correct and readable?

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3
    done

5. Jun 13, 2013 #4
    anyone help?

6. Jun 13, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Good answer.

7. Jun 14, 2013 #6
    Are you being serious or troll? I can't tell :cry:

If you could outline what is actually good and makes sense in my answer would make me more confident.

8. Jun 14, 2013 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

haruspex is most definetly not a troll -- he is one of our very valued Homework Helpers and Science Advisors. :smile:

9. Jun 14, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was being quite serious :smile:. You correctly identified the flaw in the student's reasoning, and that the correct way is to use conservation of momentum.

10. Jun 14, 2013 #9
    but doesn't 180m/s seem to big of a value for the velocity.

11. Jun 14, 2013 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it looks right to me. Remember that the pellet is only 1/90 of the mass of the ball.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted