Finding the Momentum-Space Wave Function for a Harmonic Oscillator Ground State

In summary, the momentum-space wave function for a particle in the ground state of the harmonic oscillator can be found by using the equation \Phi (p,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} exp[{\frac{-ipx}{\hbar}}] \Psi (x,t) dx. The probability of measuring a value of momentum outside the classical range for the same energy is given by 2*\int^{\infty}_{p_{Cl}}(ANS)^{2} dp, where p_{Cl} represents the classical upper bound on momentum. This can be evaluated by taking any constants out and using tricks for evaluating Gaussian integrals
Rahmuss

Homework Statement

Find the momentum-space wave function, [tex]\Phi (p,t)[/tex], for a particle in the ground state of the harmonic oscillator. What is the probability (to 2 significant digits) that a measurement of [tex]p[/tex] on a particle in this state would yield a value outside the classical range (for the same energy)? Hint: Look in a math table under "Normal Distribution" or "Error Function" for the numerical part -- or use Mathematica.
(Problem 3.11 - Intro to QM, 2nd Edition, by Griffiths)

Homework Equations

[tex]\Phi (p,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} exp[{\frac{-ipx}{\hbar}}] \Psi (x,t) dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The above equation is the only one that I know should be right. That being said, here is what I've tried so far:

[tex]\psi_{o} (x,t) = (\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar})^{\frac{1}{4}} exp[{\frac{-m\omega x^{2}}{2\hbar}}] exp[{\frac{-iE_{o}t}{\hbar}}][/tex]

With [tex]E_{o} = \frac {\hbar \omega}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\psi_{o} (x,t) = (\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar})^{\frac{1}{4}} exp[{\frac{-m\omega x^{2}-i\hbar \omega t}{2\hbar}}][/tex]

[tex]\Phi (p,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}exp[{\frac{-2ipx -m\omega x^{2} -i\hbar \omega t}{2\hbar}][/tex].

And if that's right, then I'm not sure how to integrate that. Then after I get what that equals (lets call it ANS), then to find the probability outside the classical value, I need to square [tex]\Phi (p,t)[/tex] right? I'm guessing that I would have something like:

[tex]2\int^{\infty}_{ClassicalValue}ANS dp[/tex]

I'm taking 2 times the integral because I'm guessing since it's an even function that I could take the negative classical value to -infinity as well; but it would equal this. But I'm not sure what to use for the classical value because of how the problem is worded. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, on the right track.

To evaluate the integral, first take any constants out (note: you've omitted the integration variable), then use any tricks you may know for evaluating Gaussian integrals.

To find the classical range of values of momentum, assume the total energy of the classical oscillator is some E. What are the maximum and mimimum values of the KE? That leads to the classically allowed values of p in terms of E. Now make E=ground state energy of quantum HO.

Gokul43201 - I'm not sure I know what you mean by the "integration variable". You mean, what we're integrating with respect to? I have that in there as [tex]dp[/tex].

So :

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2}[/tex]
[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2}sin^{2}(\omega_{o}t + \phi)[/tex]
[tex]PE = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2}cos^{2}(\omega_{o}t + \phi)[/tex]

Would suggest at [tex]x = 0[/tex] would have a minimum and where [tex]cos^{2}(\omega_{o}t + \phi) = 0[/tex] would be another minimum.

For a max we have [tex]x = \infty[/tex] with [tex]cos^{2}(\omega_{o}t + \phi) = 1[/tex].

[tex]p = m\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]. So I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm probably just being an idiot here and it should be very simple.

Rahmuss said:
Gokul43201 - I'm not sure I know what you mean by the "integration variable". You mean, what we're integrating with respect to? I have that in there as [tex]dp[/tex].
I was talking about the previous integral - the one for [itex]\Phi(p,t)[/itex].

So :

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2}[/tex]
[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2}sin^{2}(\omega_{o}t + \phi)[/tex]
[tex]PE = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2}cos^{2}(\omega_{o}t + \phi)[/tex]

Would suggest at [tex]x = 0[/tex] would have a minimum and where [tex]cos^{2}(\omega_{o}t + \phi) = 0[/tex] would be another minimum.

For a max we have [tex]x = \infty[/tex] with [tex]cos^{2}(\omega_{o}t + \phi) = 1[/tex].
We are looking for the bounds of the KE. Since [itex]0 \leq sin^2 \theta \leq 1[/itex], the KE is bounded by 0 and E. Now we plug in the E for the ground state of the quantum harmonic oscillator, which is ...?

[tex]p = m\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]. So I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm probably just being an idiot here and it should be very simple.
Since KE = p^2/2m, the bounds on KE tell us the bounds on p for the classical oscillator.

[tex]E_{n} = (n + \frac{1}{2})\hbar \omega[/tex]. And so the ground state for the QHO is:

[tex]E_{o} = \frac{\hbar \omega}{2}[/tex].

So for our integral we're looking for :

[tex]2*\int^{\infty}_{\frac{\hbar \omega}{2}} (ANS)^{2} dp[/tex]. Is that right?

Almost!

[tex]E_{o} = \frac{\hbar \omega}{2} = \frac{p_{_{Cl}}^2}{2m}[/tex]

[tex]\implies p_{_{Cl}} = \sqrt{m\hbar \omega} [/tex]

Oh, so:

[tex]2*\int^{\infty}_{\frac{p^{2}}{2m}}(ANS)^{2} dp[/tex].

Thank you very much for the help on this.

P.S. What does the subscript "Cl" represent on [tex]p_{Cl}^{2}[/tex]?

Rahmuss said:
Oh, so:

[tex]2*\int^{\infty}_{\frac{p^{2}}{2m}}(ANS)^{2} dp[/tex].
No, you are integrating over momenta, not energies. So, the lower limit of the integral needs to be p_{Cl}.

P.S. What does the subscript "Cl" represent on [tex]p_{Cl}^{2}[/tex]?
That's the classical upper bound on the momentum.

Oops. I already turned my homework in. Oh well. Live and learn. Thanks again for the help.

What is a momentum-space wave function?

A momentum-space wave function is a mathematical representation of a particle's state in terms of its momentum. It describes the probability amplitude for a particle to have a specific momentum, in contrast to the position-space wave function which describes the probability amplitude for a particle to be located at a specific position.

How is a momentum-space wave function related to a position-space wave function?

The momentum-space wave function is related to the position-space wave function through a mathematical operation called a Fourier transform. This transformation allows for the conversion between the two representations of a particle's state, and is governed by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

What are the advantages of using a momentum-space wave function?

One advantage of using a momentum-space wave function is that it allows for a more intuitive understanding of a particle's behavior at a fundamental level. It also simplifies certain calculations, particularly in quantum mechanics, by transforming complicated differential equations into algebraic equations.

What is the physical interpretation of the momentum-space wave function?

The physical interpretation of the momentum-space wave function is that it represents the probability amplitude for a particle to have a specific momentum. This means that the square of the wave function gives the probability of finding the particle with a particular momentum upon measurement.

Can a particle's momentum and position be known simultaneously through the momentum-space wave function?

No, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the more precisely a particle's momentum is known, the less precisely its position can be known. This uncertainty is reflected in the momentum-space wave function, as the width of the function corresponds to the uncertainty in a particle's momentum.