How do I solve this momentum and spring question?

In summary, the conversation discusses a momentum question involving springs, where the question asks for the maximum compression of a buffer spring after a train and carriage hit it. The given solution uses the kinetic energy formula while the person asking the question uses the formula for change in momentum. The expert points out that the formula used in the solution gives the average force, not the maximum force, and that the acceleration is not uniform, making the kinematic formula used by the person asking the question invalid.
ojsimon
Hi,

I have just tried a momentum question involving springs. I got the wrong answer and the method used in the solution is different, but i still do not see what i did wrong.

The question is: a railway engine 6.2*10^4 and a carriage 4*10^4 have coupled. They have hit a buffer spring (to stop them) from an initial speed of 0.15m/s. Assuming the buffer behaves like a spring of stiffness 320kN/m calculate the maximum compressiion of the spring.

The solution given is:

Kinetic energy of train :

0.5 × 10.2 × 104 × 0.152 = 1150 J

0.5* F e
= 0.5× (k e) × e = 0.5 × k e^2
0.5 × 320 × 103 e2 = 1150 1
gives compression e = 8.47 × 10^-2 m

My Solution
F=Change in MV/Change in time F= Ke

so:

MV/T = Ke

s= ((u+v)/2)t Therefore : t=(40/3)e

so Mv= 40/3(Ke^2)

And i calculate e=0.059 m

But this is different to the solution given, why does my method not work?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ojsimon said:
My Solution
F=Change in MV/Change in time F= Ke

so:

MV/T = Ke
Δ(MV)/Δt would give you the average force, not the maximum force.

s= ((u+v)/2)t Therefore : t=(40/3)e
The acceleration is not uniform, thus that kinematic formula will not apply.

Ok thank you very much for you assistance.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum of all objects remains constant, meaning it is conserved. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. How does a spring affect momentum?

When a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, which affects the momentum of the object attached to the spring.

4. What is the relationship between momentum and force?

Force is directly proportional to the rate of change of momentum. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be.

5. How do you calculate the momentum of an object?

The momentum of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass (m) by its velocity (v). This can be written as p = m * v. The SI unit for momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).