Momentum to overcome inertia

In summary, the problem is to determine the volume flow rate required to overcome the inertia of a homogenous rectangular block resting on the x-y plane when a fluid acts on its centroid. The assumptions for the problem include negligible distance from nozzle to block, steady flow, and incompressible fluid. The solution involves quantifying the inertia of the block at rest and calculating the amount of momentum required to tip the block from its resting position. The minimum water flow needed to push the block over can be found by equating the torque caused by gravity and the torque caused by the water flow about its axis of rotation, which is assumed to be the corner edge of the box. The problem does not mention anything about friction.
Rocket_Au
i need help getting started on a fluid mechanics problem, i am not looking for a worked solution just a nudge to get me started on the problem, i am rather stumped.

i need to determine the volume flow rate Q required to overcome the inertia of a homogenous rectangular block with weight N.

the block of d(x), w(y), h(z) stands at rest on the x-y plane, the fluid acts on the centroid of the block.

assume:
- negligable distance from nozzle to block
- steady flow
- incompressible fluid

the part of my memory that is trying to make it's way to the surface tells me to quantify the inertia(?) of the homogenous block at rest and calculate the amount of momentum required to tip the block from it's resting position.

based on other problems i have completed i don't expect to have any problems calculating the required flow rate to produce such a momentum.

it really seems as though i am missing a basic relationship/principle to get me started on the problem.

Attachments

• Assign 1 Q4-1.jpg
    Assign 1 Q4-1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this problem come with a picture? Because at least for me I can't figure out what the problem looks like based on your description.

added a graphic, it's a bit basic but the best i could do with 'paint'

Are you giving us the entire problem? What does it say about friction? Are we to assume the water won't be able to overcome the static friction, and we need to calculate the required torque to tip it over?

If we are to assume we need to tip it over, then you need to calculate the torque caused by gravity and the torque caused by the water flow about its axis of rotation. And the axis of rotation will be the corner edge of the box (sort of where you drew the 'w' in the figure). Then just equate them to find the minimum water flow needed to push it over.

Yup, that's all the problem.

i believe your assumption is correct, that the block will not slide along the x plane overcoming friction (no friction data is provided) rather pivoting on the outer edge of the x-y plane, as you said ' near the w '.

i understand the equating of forces, i only want to find the minimum volume flow rate required to tip the block.

so, to equate these forces, the problem requires me to find the torque required to push the block over (assume acting through the centroid) equivalent to the force of gravity acting through the centroid.

thanks for the help 'talking' it out has really helped, (i'll be back if i get stuck ;) )

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue moving in the same direction at the same speed. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity.

2. How does momentum relate to inertia?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to change its state of motion. Momentum is directly related to inertia because it is the property that causes an object to resist changes in its motion.

3. How is momentum used to overcome inertia?

To overcome the inertia of an object, a force must be applied. Momentum is used to overcome inertia by transferring its energy to the object, causing it to change its state of motion.

4. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of its velocity, causing the momentum to have a negative value.

5. How does mass and velocity affect momentum?

Mass and velocity both have a direct effect on the momentum of an object. The greater the mass or velocity of an object, the greater its momentum will be. This means that an object with a larger mass or higher velocity will require more force to overcome its inertia.