Momentum versus kinetic energy

In summary, The formula for kinetic energy (KE) is used when calculating the energy required to stop a moving object, while the formula for momentum is used when calculating the force required to stop a moving object in a certain amount of time or distance. Both KE and momentum play important roles in understanding collisions and the transfer of energy.
smcclenaghan

Homework Statement

A 2000kg car is moving at 50km/h. What is the force required to stop it?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2m(v^2)
p=m*v

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2(2000kg)*(50km/h)^2 =
1000kg*2500km^2/h^2 =
2,500,000 km^2/h^2
converting from hours to seconds and km to m (to get joules)
2,500,000 km^2/h^2 = 2,500,000,000 m^2/h^2
2,500,000,000 m^2/h^2 / 60 / 60 = 694444.4... J

My answer may or may not be right. (I'm actually not so concerned with the math). Rather, I have a fundamental problem understanding the difference between KE and momentum. Why am I using the formula for KE to compute the energy to stop a moving mass and not the formula for momentum?

If not here, when is the formula for momentum used?

I am extremely confused on whether to use KE or momentum to handle collisions. I've come across an analogy that KE is the work, and momentum is the transportation for that work.

The equal and opposite reaction (Newton's third law), is this based off of momentum or KE?

I really would love a simple place to start for a comparison of these two terms. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question that you state should be completed as follows:

(...) What is the force required to stop it in x seconds?

or:

(...) What is the force required to stop it in y meters?

Since no mass in motion can be stopped instantaneously, or in no distance...

Ok, I think I follow.

If it is in seconds, we're looking at momentum. If it is in meters, we're looking at KE.

Is that about right?

smcclenaghan said:
Ok, I think I follow.

If it is in seconds, we're looking atmomentum. If it is in meters, we're looking at KE.

Is that about right?
No. NTW was pointing out that your question cannot be answered, there is insufficient information.

We need to be given information on how quickly the vehicle is to be stopped.

NascentOxygen said:
No. NTW was pointing out that your question cannot be answered, there is insufficient information.

We need to be given information on how quickly the vehicle is to be stopped.
Right. So if the question were asking how much force in X seconds, we'd be looking at the formula for momentum.
And if the question were asking how much force in X meters, we'd be looking at the formula for KE.

Am I on the right track?

(I understand the original question is not answerable as posted).

Yes, you would be able to solve for the force that way.

I appreciate the response, NascentOxygen (and to you NTW).

1. What is the difference between momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum and kinetic energy are both measures of motion, but they are not the same thing. Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity combined, while kinetic energy is a measure of an object's energy due to its motion.

2. Which one is more important, momentum or kinetic energy?

Both momentum and kinetic energy are important in understanding an object's motion. However, the importance of each depends on the specific situation. For example, in a car crash, momentum is more important in determining the force of impact, while kinetic energy is more important in determining the damage caused.

3. Can an object have momentum without having kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have momentum without having kinetic energy. This can happen when an object is at rest or moving at a very slow speed. In these cases, the object's momentum is determined by its mass, not its velocity.

4. How are momentum and kinetic energy related?

Momentum and kinetic energy are related through the equation:
Momentum = Mass x Velocity
Kinetic Energy = 1/2 x Mass x Velocity^2
As seen in these equations, both momentum and kinetic energy are directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity.

5. Is momentum conserved in all situations?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, momentum is always conserved in a closed system, meaning that it does not change over time. However, in an open system where external forces are present, momentum may not be conserved.