Momentum Vs. Kinetic Energy: What's the difference?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the energy needed to divert a speeding asteroid off course. The question is whether to use momentum or kinetic energy in the calculation. It is recommended to use (mv^2)/2 for energy to avoid misunderstanding and to start with the momentum of the asteroid and add a percentage in a perpendicular direction to calculate the energy required.
winston2020
Could someone please explain the difference between these two? I understand that they're obviously different, but I can't figure out where each of them should be used.

For example, I need to calculate how much energy it would take to stop a speeding asteroid. I have it's mass, and velocity, but I don't know whether I should calculate Momentum or Kinetic energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
winston2020 said:
For example, I need to calculate how much energy it would take to stop a speeding asteroid.
If you are going to spend your energy to stop an asteroid, you are on wrong way. Try to find a way to GET energy from the asteroid. :smile:

jdg812 said:
If you are going to spend your energy to stop an asteroid, you are on wrong way. Try to find a way to GET energy from the asteroid. :smile:

Well, that would be a good idea, but I'm essentially trying to find out how much energy it has... :tongue:

winston2020 said:
Well, that would be a good idea, but I'm essentially trying to find out how much energy it has... :tongue:
First of all, it has KINETIC energy.
If it is close to the Sun or the Earth, it has POTENTIAL energy as well...

P.S.
If you indeed would stop the asteroid near the Earth, you would spend rest of your life and your money TO KEEP IT IN REST! :smile:

jdg812 said:
First of all, it has KINETIC energy.
If it is close to the Sun or the Earth, it has POTENTIAL energy as well...

P.S.
If you indeed would stop the asteroid near the Earth, you would spend rest of your life and your money TO KEEP IT IN REST! :smile:

I understand that. I don't want to stop it. I'm going to use a series of blasts placed approximately 20 degrees to the back of the asteroid to divert it off course. But to calculate how far it will be diverted, I need to know how much energy it has in the forward direction. What I don't know, is if I should use E = 1/2mv^2 OR P=mv.

E = 1/2mv^2, this is energy, better use (mv^2)/2 to avoid misunderstanding

P=mv this is momentum

jdg812 said:
E = 1/2mv^2, this is energy, better use (mv^2)/2 to avoid misunderstanding

P=mv this is momentum

I know that too :p

What I need to know is in which sense they should be used. To figure out how much energy needs to be used to divert the asteroid, would I use momentum, or kinetic energy?

winston2020 said:
I understand that. I don't want to stop it. I'm going to use a series of blasts placed approximately 20 degrees to the back of the asteroid to divert it off course.

90 degrees would be better... less energy needed...

You may start with momentum of asteroid, then add 20% (or less, or more) in perpendicular direction... then calculate energy you spent...

1. What is the difference between momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy is a measure of an object's mass and speed. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

2. How do momentum and kinetic energy relate to each other?

Momentum and kinetic energy are related in that they both involve an object's mass. However, momentum also takes into account the object's velocity, while kinetic energy only considers its speed. In simple terms, momentum is the measure of the object's "inertia in motion," while kinetic energy is the measure of its "motion energy."

3. Which one is more important, momentum or kinetic energy?

Both momentum and kinetic energy are important in understanding the motion of objects. Momentum is important for understanding how objects interact with each other during collisions, while kinetic energy is important for understanding how objects can do work or have the potential to do work. In certain situations, one quantity may be more important than the other, but they are both essential in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

4. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum of all objects remains constant, meaning it is conserved. This means that the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction between objects must be the same. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum and is an important principle in understanding the motion of objects.

5. Can an object have momentum without kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have momentum without having kinetic energy. This is because momentum takes into account the object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy only considers its speed. For example, an object at rest still has mass and therefore has momentum, but it does not have kinetic energy because it is not in motion.