Solving Momentum with Strings - PhysicsForum

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two blocks connected by a string and a compressed spring. The problem is solved by using the principles of momentum conservation and the distance and time measurements of one block to determine its velocity, which is then used to calculate the time and velocity of the other block. The issue of considering the blocks' speed to be uniform and the separation of energy by the spring is also addressed. The final conclusion is that the final velocities and kinetic energies of the blocks are determined by the conservation of momentum.
alingy1
Hello, PhysicsForum,
I haven't posted a physics question, mainly because I don't have mechanics classes anymore :(
But, studying on my own, I found this problem on the web with the solution:

«61. A 2.0-kg box is attached by a string to a 5.0-kg box. A compressed spring is placed between them. The two boxes are initially at rest on a friction-free track. The string is cut and the spring applies an impulse to both boxes, setting them in motion. The 2.0-kg box is propelled backwards and moves 1.2 meters to the end of the track in 0.50 seconds. Determine the time it takes the 5.0-kg box to move 0.90 meters to the opposite end of the track.

Answer: 0.94 s

For the sake of the discussion, the 2-kg box will be referred to as Box 1 and the 5-kg box will be referred to as box 2.

Given: mbox 1 = 2.0 kg; mbox 2 = 5.0 kg; dbox 1 = 1.2 m; tbox 1 = 0.50 s; dbox 2 = 0.90 m

Find: tbox 2 = ?

The two boxes are initially at rest. The total system momentum is initially 0. After the cutting of the string and the impulse of the spring, the total system momentum must also be 0. Thus, Box 1's backward momentum must be equal to the Box 2's forward momentum. The distance and time for Box 1 must be used to determine its velocity.

v = d/t = (1.2 m) / (0.5 s) = 2.4 m/s

Now the principle of momentum conservation can be used to determine Box 2's velocity.

mbox 1 • vbox 1 = mbox 2 • vbox 2
(2 kg) • (2.4 m/s) = (5 kg) • vbox 2

vbox 2 = (2 kg) • (2.4 m/s) / (5 kg) = 0.96 m/s

The velocity of Box 2 can be used to determine the time it takes it to move a distance of 0.90 meters.

vbox 2 = dbox 2 / time
Time = dbox 2 / vbox 2 = (0.90 m) / (0.96 m/s) = 0.9375 s = ~0.94 s »
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/reviews/momentum/momans4.cfm

Now, what I don't understand from this whole process, is why we consider the speed of the blocks to be uniform. I think that the string, not being specified, could have been long and could therefore provide an acceleration throughout the movement of the blocks. This would make the calculation of the velocity erroneous. Is this correct?

Also, I want to know how the spring separates energy. Let's say the compression of the spring gathered 1000 J of energy. Would each block get 500J? How does the separation of the energy work?

Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
Now, what I don't understand from this whole process, is why we consider the speed of the blocks to be uniform. I think that the string, not being specified, could have been long and could therefore provide an acceleration throughout the movement of the blocks. This would make the calculation of the velocity erroneous. Is this correct?

It's true that during the time interval over which the spring provides the impulse, the blocks will be accelerating from rest, not moving at a constant speed. However, as soon as the spring loses contact with the blocks, there is no longer any force, and so the blocks continue at a constant speed that depends on the total impulse imparted. The point is, this time interval over which the impulse is provided is assumed to be short, as is the distance that the blocks move while accelerating. If you want, for the purpose of this problem, you can take the 1.2 m that block 1 moves to be the distance that it moved after being accelerated up to its final constant speed.

alingy1 said:
Also, I want to know how the spring separates energy. Let's say the compression of the spring gathered 1000 J of energy. Would each block get 500J? How does the separation of the energy work?

This is ultimately determined by the one constraint we have on the system, that momentum must be conserved. Conservation of momentum determines the final velocity, and hence the final speed, of each block. Since kinetic energy depends on speed, this also determines the amount of kinetic energy each block will have in the end.

Likes 1 person
Awesome. Finally some mental physics cogitation. :) I had thought that my bio courses had taken that away from me. :(

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. In other words, it is the amount of force required to bring a moving object to a stop.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The equation for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. How do strings affect momentum?

In physics, strings can be used to transfer momentum between two objects. When a string is pulled taut, it creates tension and can transfer momentum from one object to another through a series of collisions.

4. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum in a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum before and after a collision must be the same, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

5. How can momentum be used in real-world applications?

Momentum is a fundamental concept in physics and has many real-world applications. It is used in sports, such as calculating the force of impact in a collision, and in transportation, such as determining the stopping distance of a vehicle. It is also an important factor in engineering and in understanding the motion of particles in quantum mechanics.