How to Solve Momentum and Collision Problems

It is the effort that counts. Even if the effort is not successful in solving the problem, it is still informative to see the exact thought processes of the student.While we are not completely unforgiving, we have seen too many examples of cheaters who have no idea how to do the problem they post. There are plenty of students who will show their work and ask for guidance. That is what we are here for. But to simply post a problem that you know is beyond your capabilities and ask for a solution is not acceptable.If you are not a student, and you do not have access to a textbook or similar source, and you do not have the time or inclination to look up information on the internet,
sb
1. An experiment is performd in a physics laboratory to find the mass of a stationary particle, B. A proton, A, of mass 1.7 x 10^-27 kg, traveling at 4.0 x 10^6 m/s, strike B and bounces straight back at a speed of 2.0 x 10^6 m/s. If B moves ahead at 1.0 x 10^6 m/s. calculate B's mass

2. Two, studends, C and D, are facing each other on "friction-less" roller skates. C has a mass of 80kg and D has a mass of 50kg. Now they push each other and D acquires a velocity of 4.4m/s [W]. What velocity does C acquire?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sb,
could you please tell us what you have got so far, and where you are stuck.

ummmm i am very very very confused. Plz kindly show me how u wud go about solving this question. It wud be very helpful and appreciated and i will be very thankful.

Originally posted by sb
Plz kindly show me how u wud go about solving this question.

Sorry, but that is not the policy of this Forum. I placed a note at the top of the Homework Help Forum called https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28. Please do read it. :smile:

It wud be very helpful and appreciated and i will be very thankful.

Actually, it would most likely not be helpful to you at all. If we simply show you how to do the problem, then you really aren't learning anything.

You should have learned about the law of conservation of momentum in your class. Come on, give these a shot. At least try to set them up. They really are very easy problems.

atlest give me a clue sir...

Okay, here's clue: look up the definition of "momentum" and the law of "conservation of momentum" in your textbook

Calculate the momentum of each particle, before and after the collision and post them here. Then we will be able to help you further.

Unless this guy has posted in another thread, I can't say he is even using a textbook (even though it is in homework help). We seem to assume all of the time that these people are students. He might not be. I post here, I'm not a student. Hell, someday I might even post a question!

Originally posted by Doc
Unless this guy has posted in another thread, I can't say he is even using a textbook (even though it is in homework help).

OK, then he can look up "conservation of momentum" up in HyperPhysics, one of the many helpful resources I posted at the top of the Homework Help Forum.

Hell, someday I might even post a question!

OK, but if you post it in my Forum, then you had better show your work first. :smile:

One kg of fat is equivalent to about 30 MJ of energy. The efficiency of converting fat to mechanical energu is about 20%.
a. Suppose you lift a mass of 12kg 2.0m vertically, 500 times how much work do you do? (Assume that the work done by mass on you is disepated as heat to the surroundings).
b. If asll the energy used to do the work comes from "burning" fat, how much fat is used up by the expercise

This is what I did:
1kg = 30MJ
percentage efficinecy = 20%
m = 12kg
delta d= 2.0m
w=?

1kg = 1,000,000J
12kg = 12,000,000J
E = 12,000,000J
IMA = 12,000,000J

potencial efficiency = (AMA/IMA) * 100%
20% = (AMA/12,000,000) * 100
AMA = (20/100) * 12,0000
AMA = 24000J

FBD Diagam

Eg = mgh
Eg = (12kg)(9.8m/s^2 [D])(2.0)
Eg = 235.2N

Answers for this problem given at the end of the book are
a. 1.2x10^2 kJ
b. 20g

sorry about that message above, clicked the wrong button, thanks a lot for all your help

Originally posted by Tom

OK, but if you post it in my Forum, then you had better show your work first. :smile:

That's the thing though. I suspect that MOST of the people that could answer the type of question I would ask hang out here. That includes YOU Tom. The type of question I would ask would most likely concern the type of problem where I couldn't show any work at all. That would be my point in asking. I agree with the policy of showing your work but sometimes it is not possible. Kind of a catch 22. I guess I won't expect much. Too bad, considering the seemingly high level of intelligence in here.

Doc said
That's the thing though. I suspect that MOST of the people that could answer the type of question I would ask hang out here. That includes YOU Tom. The type of question I would ask would most likely concern the type of problem where I couldn't show any work at all. That would be my point in asking. I agree with the policy of showing your work but sometimes it is not possible. Kind of a catch 22. I guess I won't expect much. Too bad, considering the seemingly high level of intelligence in here.

Have you considered posting such questions in the "mathematics" and "physics" sections rather than the "Homework Help" section?

Originally posted by Doc
I agree with the policy of showing your work but sometimes it is not possible. Kind of a catch 22.

It is always possible.

If a student has studied and absorbed the material to any extent, he will at least have an incling as to the starting point of the problem. Homework problems are not designed to be masochistic. Certainly they are meant to be met with some strain, but they can all be done with some effort.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What happens to momentum during a collision?

Momentum is conserved during a collision, meaning that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and the objects involved bounce off each other. In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and the objects may stick together or deform upon impact.

5. How does mass affect momentum?

The momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that an object with a larger mass will have a larger momentum, assuming its velocity stays the same.