Then F = Delta P/Delta T = (-7.2 kgm/s)/(0.002s) = -3600 N

• Thread starter reincarnate
  • Start date
In summary, the head of a 1.0 kg hammer, moving at 3.6 m/s, exerts an average force of 1800 N on a nail when it stays in contact for 2.0 ms and rebounds with negligible velocity. When the same hammer hits a springy nail, it exerts a force of -7.2 kgm/s in the opposite direction as it rebounds with its initial speed of 3.6 m/s. This force may vary depending on the properties of the springy nail.
reincarnate
1. The head of a 1.0 kg hammer, moving at 3.6 m/s, strikes a nail and rives it into hardwood.

a. The head stays in contact 2.0 ms and rebounds with negligible velocity. What is the average force exerted on the nail?

b. When the same hammer hits a springy nail, it rebounds with its initial speed, 3.6 m/s. The contact time is the same. What force is exerted this time?

For part a:

P(hammer) = (1kg)(3.6m/s) = 3.1 kgm/s Delta P = Pf - Pi = 3.6 kgm/s - 0 kgm/s = 3.6 kgm/s
Delta P = F * Delta T F = Delta P/Delta T = (3.6kgm/s)/(0.002s) = 1800 N

Not sure if i did this part correctly...Anyone like to confirm my answer?

For part b:
This part I'm pretty confused...Not sure what I should start to do..
Do I find the change in momentum of the hammer first?
Delta P = m*delta v
= m*(Vf - Vi)
= (1kg)(-3.6 m/s - 3.6 m/s)
= -7.2 kgm/s

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in part a and on the right track for part b.

1. What is the equation for force?

The equation for force is F = m*a, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. This equation is used to calculate the amount of force acting on an object.

2. What is the meaning of Delta P and Delta T in the equation F = Delta P/Delta T?

Delta P and Delta T represent the change in momentum and change in time, respectively. In the given equation, they are used to calculate the force acting on an object in a given amount of time.

3. How is the unit of force expressed in the given equation?

The unit of force in the given equation is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can this equation be used for any type of force?

No, this equation is specifically used for calculating the force of an object in motion. It cannot be used for other types of forces such as static forces or forces involving multiple objects.

5. How is the negative sign in the final answer interpreted?

The negative sign in the final answer represents the direction of the force. In this case, the negative sign indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion.