1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monic Polynomials

1. Jun 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show x^2 + 2 in Z_5[x] is irreducible. This is before the section on the factor theorem (j is a root -> (x-j) is a factor). So I'm not so sure I want to start checking for zero's since "its not available" per se.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Suppose it was reducible. Then x^2 + 2 = (ax + b) (a^-1x + c). First, I have a feeling that the products are monic, so i dont have to worry about the a, and a^-1.

But why would the products would be monic (if it were reducible, even though its not)?

I know if a poly can be factored into monics, the poly itself must be monic, (which is clear since the leading coefficient will turn out to be 1 upon collection of like powers.) When I say monic factors, i mean "just" monic factors, with no non-zero coefficients out in front.

But I can't say that x^2 + 2 *can be factored into monics* to begin with, since I can't assume this. Please help me with showing why its okay to assume if x^2 + 2 over Z_5 were reducible, it would have monic factors.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2007 #2
    Nevermind, they are all units in Z_5. I can't believe i overlooked this.

x^2 + 2 = (ax + b) (a^-1x + c) = a(x + b/a) a^-1(x + ca) = (x + b/a)(x + ca).

4. Jun 17, 2007 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't have to have monic factors.

Take for example x^2 + 1. Over Z_5, it factors as (2x+1)(3x+1).

5. Jun 17, 2007 #4
    (2x + 1) = 2(x + 3)
    (3x + 1) = 3(x + 2)
    = 6(x + 3)(x + 2) = (x+3)(x+2) = x^2 + 5x + 6 = x^2 + 1

so x^2 + 1 = (x + 2)(x + 3).

6. Jun 17, 2007 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. You can assume without loss of generality that the factors are monic. I was just saying that you can write down a non-monic factorization.

7. Jun 17, 2007 #6
    Oh okay. Heh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?