Monitor/Mentor Selection

  • Thread starter Les Sleeth
  • Start date

Les Sleeth

Gold Member
2,142
2
Anybody wonder about the criteria for choosing monitors/mentors at PF?

Will a precocious, opinionated, or dominating student make a good monitor? Should monitors be chosen because they agree with the majority view of the other monitors at PF? Should friendship to other monitors be considered relevant?

I will tell you what I think the criteria should be. A forum monitor should be an expert in the field they are watching over, they should be liberal-minded, they should be unbiased enough to allow discussion to proceed without censure when it runs contrary to their beliefs. Yet they should be strong and objective enough to be able to keep debates on track.

How about a little wisdom and life experience thrown in?

But then, it isn't my site. Something I am certain of is that a forum attracts the same quality of minds the philosophy, experience, wisdom, and intelligence its leaders establish.
 
Last edited:
Originally posted by LW Sleeth
Anybody wonder about the criteria for choosing monitors/mentors at PF?

Will a precocious, opinionated, or dominating student make a good monitor? Should monitors be chosen because they agree with the majority view of the other monitors at PF? Should friendship to other monitors be considered relevant?

I will tell you what I think the criteria should be. A forum monitor should be an expert in the field they are watching over, they should be liberal-minded, they should be unbiased enough to allow discussion to proceed without censure when it runs contrary to their beliefs. Yet they should be strong and objective enough to be able to keep debates on track.

How about a little wisdom and life experience thrown in?

But then, it isn't my site. Something I am certain of is that a forum attracts the same quality of minds the philosophy, experience, wisdom, and intelligence its leaders establish.
I absolutely agree LW. Are you saying our current staff does not meet your expectations? I am a member at many science forums and I can undoubtably say we have the best staff and it makes the difference. Without them PF would not be what it is today.

btw, what is a PF monitor?
 

Les Sleeth

Gold Member
2,142
2
Re: Re: Monitor/Mentor Selection

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I absolutely agree LW. Are you saying our current staff does not meet your expectations? I am a member at many science forums and I can undoubtably say we have the best staff and it makes the difference. Without them PF would not be what it is today.

btw, what is a PF monitor?
Well, it doesn't seem like you totally agree does it?

I offered the option of "monitor" as a way to excuse some of the "mentors" who hardly exemplify either expertise in the field they are supposed to be guiding others in or how to conduct a focused and unbiased debate (afterall, a mentor is supposed to "mentor").

I have interacted with a number of the mentors here, so I am not without experience when I claim there are mentors who need lessons in objectivity, and a broader education. Instead what I have run into too often are people using the power of their post to guide things toward what they can agree with.

I have loved this site Greg, and even been passionate about preserving it. But I find myself fading away when I see people chosen as mentors who in the past have consistantly demonstrated the only thing they are interested in is furthering their personal beliefs.
 

russ_watters

Mentor
18,053
4,561
I'll have to admit I am uncomfortable with the title "mentor" and I'll generally refer to myself as a "moderator" which is the typical term used for such a post. And though I consider myself a pretty good engineer, I (like any good scientist/engineer) have a lot to learn.
 

Les Sleeth

Gold Member
2,142
2
Originally posted by russ_watters
I'll have to admit I am uncomfortable with the title "mentor" and I'll generally refer to myself as a "moderator" which is the typical term used for such a post. And though I consider myself a pretty good engineer, I (like any good scientist/engineer) have a lot to learn.
I suspected it was unwise for me to tackle this subject because the first people to take responsibility are usually those doing a fine job. My complaint isn't about mentors who can help others understand.
 

Tsu

Gold Member
322
63
Originally posted by LW Sleeth
A forum monitor should be an expert in the field they are watching over, they should be liberal-minded, they should be unbiased enough to allow discussion to proceed without censure when it runs contrary to their beliefs. Yet they should be strong and objective enough to be able to keep debates on track.
An excellent description, LW. IMHO, most mentors fit the bill quite well. I also believe that objectivity is a must. Consciously promoting ill-will is an area that mentors should avoid so that the thread runs smoothly and intelligently, and members should not be made to feel that their opinions are wrong. There is no right or wrong to an opinion. 'Baiting' and personal slurs should be avoided at all costs. When proven wrong in an 'attack' on a member, apologies should be immediately forthcoming, without stipulation and genuine in nature.
 

Les Sleeth

Gold Member
2,142
2
Re: Re: Monitor/Mentor Selection

Originally posted by Tsunami
An excellent description, LW. IMHO, most mentors fit the bill quite well. I also believe that objectivity is a must. Consciously promoting ill-will is an area that mentors should avoid so that the thread runs smoothly and intelligently, and members should not be made to feel that their opinions are wrong. There is no right or wrong to an opinion. 'Baiting' and personal slurs should be avoided at all costs. When proven wrong in an 'attack' on a member, apologies should be immediately forthcoming, without stipulation and genuine in nature.
I agree that "most mentors fit the bill."
 
Re: Re: Re: Monitor/Mentor Selection

Originally posted by LW Sleeth
I agree that "most mentors fit the bill."
How about you stop beating around the bush and give the nature and direction of the change your looking for.
 
Z

Zero

They all mean me... On the other hand, I think I do a kick-butt job, all things considered.
 

Tsu

Gold Member
322
63
Originally posted by Zero
They all mean me...
What makes you think that?
 
Z

Zero

Originally posted by Tsunami
What makes you think that?
Because they always mean me!!
 

Tsu

Gold Member
322
63
Originally posted by Zero
Because they always mean me!!
Ah. Why is that?
 
Z

Zero

Originally posted by Tsunami
Ah. Why is that?
Because I'm a big meanie!!
 

Tsu

Gold Member
322
63
Originally posted by Zero
Because I'm a big meanie!!
Well...yes. But, Zero, you are sort of a LIKEABLE big meanie.:wink: Now if you could just clean all that blood off of your face...

edit: 'Big meanie'... hmmmm. Actually a few other adjectives might have better suited you... Can you come up with something better?
 
Last edited:

Tsu

Gold Member
322
63
Originally posted by Tsunami
Well...yes. But, Zero, you are sort of a LIKEABLE big meanie.:wink: Now if you could just clean all that blood off of your face...

edit: 'Big meanie'... hmmmm. Actually a few other adjectives might have better suited you... Can you come up with something better?
Nah...let's go back to 'big meanie'. What do you mean when you say 'big'meanie'?
 

drag

Science Advisor
1,046
0
Originally posted by LW Sleeth
I offered the option of "monitor" as a way to excuse some of the "mentors" who hardly exemplify either expertise in the field they are supposed to be guiding others in or how to conduct a focused and unbiased debate (afterall, a mentor is supposed to "mentor").

I have interacted with a number of the mentors here, so I am not without experience when I claim there are mentors who need lessons in objectivity, and a broader education. Instead what I have run into too often are people using the power of their post to guide things toward what they can agree with.

I have loved this site Greg, and even been passionate about preserving it. But I find myself fading away when I see people chosen as mentors who in the past have consistantly demonstrated the only thing they are interested in is furthering their personal beliefs.
Originally posted by Zero
They all mean me...
How could we ?! :wink:
Actually, wouldn't it be fun if you were the Religion forum
mentor ? Think about it...:wink: I'd rate you as No. 1 there for
sure (that place really needs some air and sunlight) !


Peace and long life.
 

Les Sleeth

Gold Member
2,142
2
Originally posted by Zero
They all mean me... On the other hand, I think I do a kick-butt job, all things considered.
I was referring more to the new mentors being added, not you Zero. You've been thrashed about enough this year I think. :wink:
 

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1,921
5
Re: Re: Re: Monitor/Mentor Selection

Originally posted by LW Sleeth
I agree that "most mentors fit the bill."
And just think...you're getting all that for free!
 

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
5,453
21
Originally posted by LW Sleeth
I was referring more to the new mentors being added, not you Zero. You've been thrashed about enough this year I think. :wink:
Well, now I am really confused because I was sure you were talking about Zero too!

Seriously, the new Mentors are qualified in the fields over which they are presiding.

Enigma (Engineering Mentor): Graduating with BS in Aeronautical Engineering.
Russ_Waters (Engineering Mentor): Practicing Engineer
Another God (Philosophy/Other Sciences Mentor): Graduating with degrees in Molecular Biology and Philosophy
Hurkyl (Mathematics Mentor): Professional Mathematician

Those are all excellent choices, IMO.
 
Z

Zero

Originally posted by LW Sleeth
I was referring more to the new mentors being added, not you Zero. You've been thrashed about enough this year I think. :wink:
Well, then...I'm in the perfect position to say leave the new guys alone, aren't I?

And, like Phobos suggested, you get the best mentors no money can buy.
 

Want to reply to this thread?

"Monitor/Mentor Selection" You must log in or register to reply here.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Top Threads

Top