Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monitor refresh rates

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1
    I have a viewsonic E771 and was wondering what the max refresh rate on in would be. I looked up the specs and it says

Fh:30-70kHz, Fv:50-120Hz

My question is what does Fh and Fv mean?

-Burg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

h: horizontal
    v: vertical

4. Dec 13, 2004 #3
    Answered my own question:

Horizontal frequency and Vertical frequency.

But does this mean i can set the refresh to 120Hz and everything will be cool?

Edit: Sorry, i researched a little, posted it and went to look some more while people got back to me and i answered myself in the mean time. :blushing:

5. Dec 13, 2004 #4
    Yeah - it should be fine - if anything goess wrong just press F8 while loading for windows then go to Safe Mode.

6. Dec 16, 2004 #5
    120Hertz would be fantastic: as long as your video card can handle it.
    The human eye usually starts noticing flickering around 60 hertz but higher is usually better. Sometimes you can still see the flickering in the corner of your eye at higher levels. If your monitor is a flat-panel it should go to 120 hertz. If it's a CRT monitor the max will probably be around 80-100. Go to Control Panel - device manager- and monitor properties to change it.

7. Dec 17, 2004 #6
    Refresh rate as a non-issue in regards to LCD monitors

• I have not read of any LCD monitors that can refresh faster than 60Hz.

• Flicker is not an issue with LCD monitors since LCD monitors do not use phosphors.

8. Dec 17, 2004 #7
    Me too never seen a TFT / LCD at that refresh rate, perhaps the top of the range ones may do but they are typically in the 70-80 refresh rate

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?