Discover the Importance of Diagonal Measurement in Computer Monitor Sizes

• Thread starter rgshankar76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Monitor
In summary, the convention for measuring screens diagonally originated with the size of the negative in 35mm movie film. The convention is still used because it is easier than writing both x and y coordinates. However, newer monitors have different aspect ratios, and it is now more confusing to determine the dimensions of a screen.
rgshankar76
Hi

would like to know if some body can thro light on...

Why the Computer monitors Sizes are measured diagonally ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
well, the ususal 3:4 aspect ratio (which had to do with the size of the negative in 35mm movie film after you subtracted for the perforations needed to pull it through a projector)
makes it very elegant to use diagonal length as the indicator of the size of the screen - instead of wrtinig both x and y, you can use d, and get x by dividing d by 5 and multiplying by 4, and you'd get y by dividing it by 5 and multiplying by 3... so an integer diagonal will get you an integer width and an integer height.
this convension has started in the 1940's,
with the introduction of HDTV it became more confusing, 9:16 doesn't give integers, and the area of the screen is deifferent for the same diagonal size in 3:4 and 9:16... but you can't chnage old habits.

Last edited:
So, yeah, the "dumb" answer is that's because TV screens are measured diagonally, so the same convention was carried over to monitors (unlike fargoth's eloquent explanation of why the convention originated for TVs). And, I find it rather frustrating that they've carried over the same convention to screens (monitors and TV) with different aspect ratios, because it no longer gives you a good idea of what size screen you're really going to get. Adding a few inches to the sides without increasing the height doesn't give you any larger text or images, it just allows you to fit more of them side-by-side. At this point, I'd prefer getting at least the height dimension.

Moonbear said:
At this point, I'd prefer getting at least the height dimension.
I've got a regular old CRT TV, so I prefer watching movies on my wide-aspect 20" LCD monitor, listening to my Klipsch speakers and subwoofer. It beats the pants off the TV for resolution and clarity and the sound is great. The extra width is also handy for keeping Outlook Express and a browser active and visible at the same time. And with this monitor, you can rotate it 90 degrees and switch the video card output from landscape to portrait in seconds, giving you the extra height that you want. The monitor is from Dell, but other seller have models with similar specs.

beter to get a average or absolute resolution and dimentions tahn diagonal dimention

1. What is diagonal measurement and why is it important in computer monitor sizes?

Diagonal measurement is the distance between two opposite corners of a rectangle or square. In the context of computer monitor sizes, it refers to the length of the screen from one corner to the opposite corner. This measurement is important because it helps determine the overall size and viewing area of a monitor.

2. How is diagonal measurement different from other measurements of a computer monitor?

Unlike other measurements such as width and height, which only provide information about one side of the screen, diagonal measurement takes into account the entire surface area of the monitor. This makes it a more accurate representation of the size of the monitor.

3. Is diagonal measurement the only factor to consider when choosing a computer monitor?

No, diagonal measurement is just one of the many factors to consider when choosing a computer monitor. Other important factors include resolution, aspect ratio, and refresh rate, which all play a role in the overall viewing experience.

4. How does diagonal measurement affect the image quality of a computer monitor?

The diagonal measurement of a monitor does not directly affect the image quality. However, a larger diagonal measurement typically means a larger screen size, which can result in a clearer and more immersive viewing experience.

5. Are there any standards for diagonal measurement in computer monitor sizes?

Yes, there are industry standards for diagonal measurement in computer monitor sizes. The most common standard is to measure the diagonal length in inches from one corner to the opposite corner of the screen. However, some manufacturers may use different measurements, so it is important to check the specifications when purchasing a monitor.