Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monitoring and database system that DARPA is proposing

1. May 24, 2003 #1
    I ran across this on the net, which I found through www.shortnews.com. It talks about an ambitious (to say the least!) monitoring and database system that DARPA is proposing. It makes TIA (Total Information Awarenes...well, now "Terrorism" Information Awareness) look like small potatoes.

That was from the first link. You can also read more at http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,58909,00.html. (It seems that defensetech.org plagiarized with material from Wired).

Now, obviously, I have been very skeptical and disbelieving. I am still in awe. It seems unreal. However, it was wired.com. More importantly, it was on DARPA's web page! http://www.darpa.mil/ipto/Solicitations/PIP_03-30.html

I find this very scary...scarier than anything al queda could cook up.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2003 #2
    Re: LifeLog...WTF?!

This is good news for people who think they have nothing to fear...until the brownshirts come for them.
  4. May 24, 2003 #3

Science Advisor

Re: Re: LifeLog...WTF?!

Greetings !

I invite everyone, and indeed humbly ask, with
    the appropriate technical skills to hack
    into the relevant US defence computer
    networks and crash them and physicly destroy
    the relevant data banks. And if you can
    concieve of other kind of ONLY material damage
    you can do to the relevant parts of that agency,
    please do it !
    Thank you very much !

Peace and long life.
    Last edited: May 24, 2003
  5. May 24, 2003 #4

This is why so many people in my area (crunchy granola, hippy throwbacks ) live completely off grid.
  6. May 24, 2003 #5

if the government keeps all this data, probably with everyone cross-referenced to everyone else, who's keeping them from "deleting" a person, as in 1984?

and what would stop an incumbent president from finding every dirty magazine an opponent has published, who they've offended/insulted, etcetera, basically crippling their chance at winning an election? bush could pull off another watergate without his CREEP breaking and entering.
  7. Jun 3, 2003 #6
    We're all going to jail, especially Zero.

Nothing about this story is too shocking, except the GPS part, that's really creepy. Seriously we could be investigated for things we say on little old PF. Watch your back.
  8. Jun 3, 2003 #7

You know, if this goes on, I might be forced to rethink my stance on controlling guns and weapons in general.

Looks like we might need them.:frown:
  9. Jun 13, 2003 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea about the truth in that story, but at a gut level, I don't see how this is feasible. The amount of info would be HUGE and 99.999whatever% of it would be uninteresting/useless. Never mind the technical complication of sifting through that much info, I think the expense would simply outweigh the potential benefit. It would be cheaper to simply spy (old school) on a few thousand people that you were specifically concerned about rather than watching everyone all the time.

What scares me is that ANYONE would be comfortable with the idea of this system. It goes against human nature's desire for freedom, IMHO.
  10. Jun 13, 2003 #9

Science Advisor

Greetings !
    I believe you're greatly underestimating modern and aspecialy
    future computer capabilities. But, that's just my subjective
    opinion for the time being.
    Just a few centuries ago the kind of limmitations we
    know today would seem like real invisible prison bars
    to most people. Further more, never underestimate the
    will of the people to limmit themselves to stop what
    they consider "bad". The mob is the one in control in a
    democracy and the mob just sees black & white. Crime -
    black, no crime - white, the price is complicated so
    they wouldn't waste their time thinking about it.
    Besides, the government itself would certainly be intrested.

Live long and prosper.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2003
  11. Jun 13, 2003 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i would have to agree with you phobos...i don't think the common law abiding citizen has that much of an interesting life that the government would want to monitor...and i think that those who have nothing to hide and yet are a little paranoid about it need to deflate their ego some...
  12. Jun 13, 2003 #11
    On the other hand, Kerrie, if you are an activist, your form of activism could be designated as terrorism later on down the line. What then?
  13. Jun 13, 2003 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

at this point, it is still an "if"...

"Worry is the interest paid by those who borrow trouble" - George Washington Lyon
  14. Jun 14, 2003 #13
    Is it really an 'if', Kerrie? In a time where the government claims more and more powers to arrest and detain people without charges and legal representaion? In a time where a person can be stripped of citizenship for belonging to the wrong group? Once the door is opened, how do we close it?
  15. Jun 14, 2003 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

you need to evaluate where your souce of this information is coming from...if it's the typical american media (including those anti-government websites that induce more-then-necessary paranoia), then i would use more skepticism of that reality...
  16. Jun 14, 2003 #15
    You can find info on DARPA's website, as well as www.fedbizopps.gov

I did post a link to the proposal on DARPA's web site in the first post.
  17. Jun 14, 2003 #16

Science Advisor

I see what you meant Phobos. :wink:
    Personally, that's frightening !

Live long and prosper.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?