Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monkey Game

1. Dec 26, 2012 #1
    This came to me when I was lying awake in bed at night.

Consider a biologically immortal person (meaning not susceptible to disease, age, or etc, but can die from physical wounds) locked alone in a room with a knife for all time (henceforth called a "BIPLRAT").

P1: If a BIPLRAT has free will, then he can choose not to kill himself.
    P2: If a BIPLRAT has free will, then it is possible that he can kill himself.
    P3: If it is possible that a BIPLRAT can kill himself, then given enough time, he *must* kill himself (this premise comes from the so called "infinite monkey theorem." Here is an overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem)
    C: Therefore, if a BIPLRAT has free will, he must kill himself.

Which of course is a contradiction because a person with free will must have the option to not kill himself.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't see how the infinite monkey theorem applies here. The theorem deals with monkeys on a typwriter. Your version seems to be: "given an infinite amount of time, everything must happen". This seems like a very bold generalization and one which requires a proof.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  4. Dec 26, 2012 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Furthermore, the monkey is a stand-in for a random generator. Real monkeys with typewriters are not true random number generators.

So carrying this metaphor to human behavior is even more flawed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  5. Dec 26, 2012 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Makes no sense to me.

6. Dec 26, 2012 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

"Free will" is generally understood to mean that the decision/outcome is NOT random because volition can override any mechanistically-determined outcome. The infinite monkey theorem only applies to random (stochastic) phenomena. Your premise is flawed.

EDIT: I guess OP is one of those who missed the Philosophy subforum.

7. Dec 28, 2012 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A BIPLRAT is not a good source of randomness.
    Entropy will eventually kill him.

If it is not determined by anything, you cannot distinguish it from randomness.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook