Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monks, nuns

1. Jun 30, 2005 #1
    What do you think about these people ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2005 #2
    They're all better people than me. They lead deliberate, disciplined lives. More power to them.

4. Jun 30, 2005 #3
    I place in the same catagory as clowns and mimes :surprised ..really creepy, scary people. I avoid them at all cost.

5. Jun 30, 2005 #4
    I admired their dedication but come on celibacy.... it’s just not right!

6. Jun 30, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Agreed.
    This kind of hostility towards the body is fundamentally unsound; at its best, it is simply sad.

7. Jun 30, 2005 #6

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I remember a scene from a movie . . . what was it . . . this Benedict monk, in the new world, early 1600's. He stumbled upon a couple having sex in the bushes. He walked away and found a good-sized branch, took off his robe and began flogging himself, the blood dripping from his back.

. . . some agonies can only be relieved by still greater agonies . . .

8. Jun 30, 2005 #7
    I know that movie. He was with the Indians. That was a pretty intense film.

There are certainly alot of Christian Monks and priests who have no idea how to handle the celibacy, and they go crazy like that. They'd be alot better off giving up and getting married. I have met monks and priests, though, who were absolutely not crazy, and were pretty formidable, disciplined people.

9. Jun 30, 2005 #8

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello Zooby,

I think you're missing the point. Sorry for being direct. It has nothing to do with being crazy or celibacy, but rather life in general:

. . . some agonies can only be relieved by still greater agonies . . .

He wasn't crazy at all, just human.

10. Jun 30, 2005 #9
    I dunno about christian monks or what but i wouldn't mess with a shaolin monk.Or nun or whatever

11. Jun 30, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Parasites to the society and nothing more.Most of them with serious mental disorders.

Daniel.

12. Jun 30, 2005 #11
    nono, that are the philosophers and psychologists , ohh and untalented theoretical physicists.

marlon

13. Jun 30, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree,yet untalented theorists could become dedicated lecturers.:tongue:

(Being) A good teacher doesn't require excellent research abilities,just passion & style :cool:

Daniel.

14. Jun 30, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have known many priests and nuns.

If you want to know what it feels like to be in the presence of the spirit, spend a little time around devout nuns. It can be palpable. And I know that many people will want to argue that its all in the head. And you go right on believing that - we all need our faith. But I know better.

15. Jun 30, 2005 #14
    Emieno, why did not you just say that catholic church is evil and stuff like that ??

16. Jun 30, 2005 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Monks and nuns aren't just Catholic.

I also don't see how people that choose this lifestyle can referred to as evil or parasitic to society or mentally disturbed, quite the opposite.

17. Jun 30, 2005 #16
    I agree with Evo. A life of prayer is hardly "evil" or "parasitic".

18. Jun 30, 2005 #17
    Well it looks like I'm going to have to take up the fight on dexter's side then. Religious figures are nothing but parasites on society. They produce nothing, they prey on the weak minded and easily corruptable to support themselves from donations in return for promises of salvation and eternal life in some mystical place that they have no proof even exists. They believe in these mystical apparations for no reason that simply because they choose to, how do you define a mental disorder if you don't include "Belief for the sake of belief" would you not call me mentally ill if I thought I was elvis? or that poison ivy was made out of candy sticks with chocolate coating and a cherry on top? or that when I died I would live in the clouds and be eternally happy surounded by angels and the supreme creator of the universe? oh wait, no... then you'd call me a priest and I'd be A-OK.

19. Jun 30, 2005 #18
    Having said that, I wouldn't call 'monks' and 'nuns' parasites. That is, the kind that live in monasteries and don't actually require anything they don't make for themselves. Those kinds of religious figures, while they may have a ridiculous motive, I have a lot of repect for.

--
    DIY not EMI!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  20. Jun 30, 2005 #19

21. Jun 30, 2005 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Then again, monks did invent Chartreuse (liquor), that stuff is pretty evil. :yuck:

A lot of nuns work among the impoverished and the sick, I believe they (for the most part, there are always exceptions) have good intentions.

Smurf...you mean you're NOT Elvis? :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?