Opinions on Certain Nuns and Monks

• Thread starter Emieno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary: They all have their own baggage that they've accrued along the way.If you want to know what it feels like to be in the presence of the spirit, spend a little time around devout nuns. It can be palpable. And I know that many people will want to argue that its all in the head. But I know better.I also don't see how people that choose this lifestyle can referred to as evil or parasitic to society or mentally disturbed, quite the opposite.I agree with Evo. A life of prayer is hardly "evil" or "parasitic".Well it looks like I'm going to have to take up the fight on dexter's side then.
Emieno
What do you think about these people ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Emieno said:
They're all better people than me. They lead deliberate, disciplined lives. More power to them.

I place in the same category as clowns and mimes ..really creepy, scary people. I avoid them at all cost.

I admired their dedication but come on celibacy... it’s just not right!

zanazzi78 said:
I admired their dedication but come on celibacy... it’s just not right!
Agreed.
This kind of hostility towards the body is fundamentally unsound; at its best, it is simply sad.

Emieno said:

I remember a scene from a movie . . . what was it . . . this Benedict monk, in the new world, early 1600's. He stumbled upon a couple having sex in the bushes. He walked away and found a good-sized branch, took off his robe and began flogging himself, the blood dripping from his back.

. . . some agonies can only be relieved by still greater agonies . . .

saltydog said:
I remember a scene from a movie . . . what was it . . . this Benedict monk, in the new world, early 1600's. He stumbled upon a couple having sex in the bushes. He walked away and found a good-sized branch, took off his robe and began flogging himself, the blood dripping from his back.
I know that movie. He was with the Indians. That was a pretty intense film.

There are certainly a lot of Christian Monks and priests who have no idea how to handle the celibacy, and they go crazy like that. They'd be a lot better off giving up and getting married. I have met monks and priests, though, who were absolutely not crazy, and were pretty formidable, disciplined people.

zoobyshoe said:
I know that movie. He was with the Indians. That was a pretty intense film.

There are certainly a lot of Christian Monks and priests who have no idea how to handle the celibacy, and they go crazy like that. They'd be a lot better off giving up and getting married. I have met monks and priests, though, who were absolutely not crazy, and were pretty formidable, disciplined people.

Hello Zooby,

I think you're missing the point. Sorry for being direct. It has nothing to do with being crazy or celibacy, but rather life in general:

. . . some agonies can only be relieved by still greater agonies . . .

He wasn't crazy at all, just human.

I don't know about christian monks or what but i wouldn't mess with a shaolin monk.Or nun or whatever

Parasites to the society and nothing more.Most of them with serious mental disorders.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Parasites to the society and nothing more.Most of them with serious mental disorders.

Daniel.

nono, that are the philosophers and psychologists , ohh and untalented theoretical physicists.

marlon

I agree,yet untalented theorists could become dedicated lecturers.:tongue:

(Being) A good teacher doesn't require excellent research abilities,just passion & style :cool:

Daniel.

Emieno said:

I have known many priests and nuns.

If you want to know what it feels like to be in the presence of the spirit, spend a little time around devout nuns. It can be palpable. And I know that many people will want to argue that its all in the head. And you go right on believing that - we all need our faith. But I know better.

Emieno, why did not you just say that catholic church is evil and stuff like that ??

Monks and nuns aren't just Catholic.

I also don't see how people that choose this lifestyle can referred to as evil or parasitic to society or mentally disturbed, quite the opposite.

I agree with Evo. A life of prayer is hardly "evil" or "parasitic".

Well it looks like I'm going to have to take up the fight on dexter's side then. Religious figures are nothing but parasites on society. They produce nothing, they prey on the weak minded and easily corruptable to support themselves from donations in return for promises of salvation and eternal life in some mystical place that they have no proof even exists. They believe in these mystical apparations for no reason that simply because they choose to, how do you define a mental disorder if you don't include "Belief for the sake of belief" would you not call me mentally ill if I thought I was elvis? or that poison ivy was made out of candy sticks with chocolate coating and a cherry on top? or that when I died I would live in the clouds and be eternally happy surounded by angels and the supreme creator of the universe? oh wait, no... then you'd call me a priest and I'd be A-OK.

Having said that, I wouldn't call 'monks' and 'nuns' parasites. That is, the kind that live in monasteries and don't actually require anything they don't make for themselves. Those kinds of religious figures, while they may have a ridiculous motive, I have a lot of repect for.

--
DIY not EMI!

Last edited:
Smurf said:
Having said that, I wouldn't call monks and nuns parasites.
--
QUOTE]

me too ofcourse ! monks in medieval europe were the best beer makers and manuscript writers, manuscripts with almost forgoten greek science and philosophy.

Then again, monks did invent Chartreuse (liquor), that stuff is pretty evil. :yuck:

A lot of nuns work among the impoverished and the sick, I believe they (for the most part, there are always exceptions) have good intentions.

Smurf...you mean you're NOT Elvis? :frown:

i would rather have monks and nuns as a friends than this "human" rabble i see everyday on my way around town.

Evo said:
A lot of nuns work among the impoverished and the sick, I believe they (for the most part, there are always exceptions) have good intentions.
by all means, all those mother teresa types arn't half bad at all.
Smurf...you mean you're NOT Elvis? :frown:
For the last time Evo; Elvis is my brother, no we're not twins, he's not dead he just went home and god damnit *I* WROTE JAILHOUSE ROCK!

I have known some monks and nuns, who were very hard working individuals, and who lived very simple lives in service to their (our) communities. Like Zooby, I have great respect for these people. Parasites they certainly are not.

I was sadly disappointed to open this thread and not read a funny story about nuns and monks walking into a bar...

Tom,iron or steel bar...? :devil:

Daniel.

What do scientists think about certain nuns and monks?

As scientists, we do not hold any specific opinions about certain nuns and monks as individuals. However, we may study the impact of their beliefs and practices on various aspects of society.

Do scientists believe that the lifestyle of nuns and monks is beneficial?

There is no consensus among scientists about whether the lifestyle of nuns and monks is beneficial. Some studies have shown potential health benefits of a monastic lifestyle, while others argue that it can lead to isolation and psychological distress.

Do nuns and monks have a positive or negative impact on society?

The impact of nuns and monks on society is a complex and debatable topic. Some scientists argue that their charitable work and spiritual guidance have a positive impact, while others criticize certain practices and ideologies that may have a negative impact.

Are there any scientific studies on the beliefs and practices of nuns and monks?

Yes, there have been numerous scientific studies on various aspects of the beliefs and practices of nuns and monks, such as their meditation techniques, communal living, and health outcomes. These studies aim to provide a better understanding of the effects of these practices on individuals and society.

Do scientists believe that nuns and monks should be given special privileges or exemptions?

As scientists, we do not advocate for any special privileges or exemptions for nuns and monks. However, we may study the potential benefits or drawbacks of such privileges on their well-being and contribution to society.