Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monoatomic elements

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    I didn't know where to start this so move it as needed,

I have seen a bunch of "odd" info about monoatomic metals (mainly gold) and thought ya'll could answer some questions.
    exactly what is monoatomic?
    can gold, or any metal be made into a monoatomic element?
    is it indeed a superconductor, that also varies its mass?
    could, as ithe sites say, ancient technology really make this stuff?

and I am steering clear of all the claims of its "super powers". I just the nuclear chem behind this stuff

thanks all,

dr

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Monoatomic simply means something that consists of a single atom (mono=one). For example helium is a monoatomic gas since each particle in the gas is just a single atom whereas gases such as hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen are diatomic (di=2, each particle consists of two bound atoms)

The term "monoatomic" simply does not make sense for gold, or indeed any metal. It is obviously true that pure gold consists of many single gold atoms; but so what?

4. Nov 4, 2009 #3
    that was what I thought, but wanted to consult some experts. I guess, technically, it would be a monoatomic molecule, as opposed to atom. all atoms would be monoatomic by defination, right?
    this stuff is supposed to be a "nano-powder" and people are actually ingesting it. sounds un-believably unsafe to me.

dr

5. Nov 4, 2009 #4
    If "monoatomic" means made of a single kind of atoms, then all elements are monoatomic, by definition. In practice there is always some impurities in any sample so there are a few other atoms. So in practice there is no "monoatomic" sample, from this point of view.

Usually "monoatomic" is used for gases, as a way to say that their molecules are formed from a single atom (not a single kind of atoms). Hydrogen gas is made from bi-atomic molecules so it is not mono-atomic from this second point of view but it will be mono-atomic from the first point of view.

In solid metals there are no molecules as individual entities so it does not make sens to talk about monoatomic molecules of gold.

If it's about using gold as a dietary supplement, anyway the term monoatomic is used just to give the impression of some scientific base. Probably is all nonsense.
    Fortunately ingesting gold is probably safe. At least from chemical point of view.
    It was done for various reasons. There are even drinks and sweets that contain gold foil or flakes that you ingest.

6. Nov 4, 2009 #5
    its not actual flakes of gold. it appears to be a fine white powder.
    this is one of the "how to pages"

http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/ormus/ormus2.htm

exactly what are you ending up with at the end?

dr

7. Nov 4, 2009 #6
    I understand that you are talking about nanoparticles of gold.
    The flakes and foil were just example of gold ingested without any obvious harm.

The gold nano-particles are extensively used in bio-medical research.

8. Nov 4, 2009 #7
    thanks to all
    I am now more informed, and appreciate it

dr

9. Nov 4, 2009 #8

alxm

Science Advisor

That page is just crackpottery and pseudoscience. If you insist on believing it, you'll have to take it somewhere else. This board is about reality.

Some comments on nomenclature:
    "Monoatomic" is usually spelt "monatomic" which means single-atomed and nothing else.

An atom is an atom and an element is an element. A substance containing a single element is "elemental". E.g. "Elemental sulphur has the formula S8"

Gold nanoparticles seem to be http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bc049951i" [Broken].

Which doesn't mean that you should buy into any scientific-sounding stuff you find online, especially on a site that apparently also promotes astrology.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Nov 5, 2009 #9
    I don't believe the stuff. that why I came here with it. Its just my basic chem knowledge is pretty rusty.
    couldn't think of any better source of actual scientists that could help me de-bunk this stuff.
    I had had my own theory that the "cooking process" was just dumping residual chemicals and minerals out of the fluid in question. What concerns me is that there is no way to tell what other stuff is in this "powder" that precipitated out of the water actually is. I live on the gulf, and there is absolutely NO WAY I would even drink a grass of that water by its self, just from all the benzene, let alone concoct a "super healing compound"

unfortunately the internet is completely full of instant cures, dis-information, and psudo-science.

thanks to all again

dr

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook